Chapter 109

"So what is it that you actually do?" Lauren asked as they both sat down back at the gang house.

It was a topic he had managed to shrug off so far, yet as each day passed, Lauren seemed more and more curious. Jay was a complete mystery to her and it was frustrating that she was unable to figure him out.

"Because I'm running out of ideas for night jobs that consist of an all-black, leather jacket uniform."

Chuckling, Jay relaxed back into the sofa before turning to look at Lauren. Her eyes were still on him as he lifted her legs up and over his lap.

"It's shit and not worth talking about. I want to know more about you."

Yet again, Jay made the effort to move the conversation along so it wasn't about him. It had been this way for the whole month that they had been seeing one another. Lauren was always the one opening up however, she had purposely been holding back a lot until he started speaking. If he could get away with not sharing, then surely she could too.

But there was something about this whole set up that made her want to share every single detail about herself. It may not be all that interesting but it was good feeling knowing someone even cared to ask.

"You can't have lived here your whole life, judging by the accent."

"No." Lauren shook her head with a smile. "I lived in Ireland for most of my life and moved here about two years ago. I fancied a change and knew if I didn't do it then, I never would."

"Were things not good there?" Jay queried, really trying to figure this girl out.

"No, no it was actually too good. I lived with my mum for years... it's embarrassing that I didn't move out sooner but we were so close. Mum's are just that one person you can trust with your life, you know?"

Jay tried his hardest to give a convincing nod however, Lauren read right through it.

"You don't agree. That look gives it all away." She laughed and Jay shook his head.

"I clearly need to work on my acting skills a bit more."

"If you want to keep secrets... yeah, that might help."

Although she was laughing, Jay was hit with the realisation of her comment. He was already keeping tonnes of secrets from her and he would continue to do so. As much as he wished it didn't have to be like this, there was very little he could do to stop it.

"Do you not get along with you mum?"

Lauren had lived at home with her mum the whole time she had been in Ireland. It wasn't until she moved to Brighton two years ago that she left. It had always just been her, her sister and her mum so they'd always been a team and got each other through everything. Therefore, hearing from someone else that they weren't all that close to their own mother, was completely alien to her.

"Not really..." Jay began before correcting himself. "Well, not at all."

"Why not? ... if you don't mind me asking." Lauren then looked saddened at Jay's comment yet to him it was all he had ever known.

It wasn't new to him, it wasn't strange. He had lived his whole life without his parents around so he didn't know any different.

"It's a long story." He was honest this time, no lies were necessary. "Carry on with what you were saying."

Although Lauren was genuinely intrigued about why Jay wasn't close to his mum, she could see in his face that he seriously did not want to talk about. Therefore, accepting his wishes, she moved on and made a mental note not to let it be forgotten.