Chapter 6

continued...

"Sorry, I didn't mean to wake you." The nurse looked apologetic as she pulled out the clipboard from the end of Corey's bed.

"No, it's fine." Sophie chuckled before sitting herself up.

"I have a bad habit of this. I just did it with the gentleman next door; I need to learn to be quieter."

"He's awake?" Sophie asked, realising the nurse was referring to Aaron. "That boy usually sleeps through everything!"

"Yes." She chuckled. "Do you know him?"

"Yeah." Sophie nodded. "How is he doing?"

"He's doing well. He's having his arm put into a cast in a second, so it shouldn't be long until he can go home... Corey too." She then glimpsed over to the being beside her.

Sophie then turned to look at Corey too who was completely out of it. It was clear that the painkillers had done their job perfectly as he was sound asleep.

Running a hand down his cheek to then cup his face, Sophie felt his arm grasp around her body more tightly. He was in a deep sleep yet he was still able to react to her touch.

"Is it okay to go and see him?" Sophie then turned back to the nurse who looked up from her clipboard to give her full attention.

"Of course you can. Go right ahead." She replied and so far, she had been the kindest of all previous staff who just seemed to want to get their job done.

Carefully removing Corey's arm from around her body, Sophie slipped out from under the thin sheet before making her way over to the door. Pausing before she left, her eyes glimpsed back over to him before being placed onto the nurse.

"You don't happen to know anything about a Jack Lawrence do you? He was in the same crash and I've been struggling to find where he is. I really need to make sure his wife is okay." Sophie stressed, desperately hoping that this nurse would be able to give some answers and she smiled warmly back at Sophie.

"I can find out for you?" She suggested and the way Sophie's face suddenly lit up was unmissable.

"Yes, please. Thank you. Do you mind?"

"Of course not. I'll pop in and let you know once I've found out." She reassured, causing Sophie to thank her many times before heading off to Aaron's room.

Cautiously making her way around the corner she was trying to ensure that there was no sign of Carla before she entered. After the events of last night, she knew it wouldn't be a good idea for her to just show up.

"Hey..." Sophie breathed as she walked into his room when she realised that the coast was clear.

"You're still here." He looked back over at her and no explanation was needed for him to guess where she had been.

"Yeah... I thought Carla would have stayed with you." Sophie added before receiving a shake of the head from Aaron.

"Nah, I told her she could go last night. I was fine." He shrugged it off, trying to move the conversation along.

There were a few moments of silence while Sophie made her way over to sit beside him on the bed. Glimpsing around the room she pulled a face of disgust.

"What?" He laughed.

"Hospitals just creep me out and your room is even worse..." She began before pausing.

"Than Corey's?" He finished the sentence for her, causing Sophie to nod her head.

When Sophie attempted to push herself up from his bed once again and move the conversation along, realising how awkward it had suddenly turned, Aaron reached for her hand and prevented her.