Part 11 - Queen of drama

"Okay, so this is going to be the best night ever!" Kaia beamed, displaying the excitement of a four year old child.

Sophie appreciated her friend's enthusiasm but she was a little more reluctant to share it with her. There was something about coming tonight that made her feel incredibly uneasy.

Spending a night with her old friends wasn't an issue at all, but only if it was peaceful. Unfortunately though, with this group of people that wasn't likely to happen. She knew what to expect yet she was prepared to do whatever she could to avoid it.

"Whose going to be there?" Sophie asked as she was tugged towards the pub by Kaia, who was eager to just get inside.

"Everyone!" She sang as she pushed through the doors to reveal the brand new meeting place for this group of individuals.

As soon as Sophie walked into that pub, her eyes immediately fell on each and everyone of those familiar faces. They all held so many of her best memories yet at the same time, so many of her worst. They had witnessed the highs of her life and the lows and in some way, contributed to the experience of them too.

"Just a heads up, Aaron's girlfriend is here." Kaia whispered: which was always most people's regular speaking volume. She hadn't quite mastered the ability of being discrete yet she always promised she was working on it.

"She's the one with the brown hair. I don't really have a sum up of her as I've only met her once but don't worry, there is no competition."

"I wasn't worrying anyway." Sophie laughed, already knowing exactly what Kaia was thinking. "We're all adults here, there will be none of that petty drama."

Although Sophie was keeping up her very composed act, Kaia didn't want to believe it. She was happy that her best friend had matured and settled down but at the same time, she wanted that spark back in her.

Kaia was the Queen of drama yet Sophie was always by her side to help stir it up a little when it was necessary. Without her, nights like this could get incredibly boring.

"You never know, she might absolutely hate you. Then what? We should think of a safe word to make our escape!"

"We're fine, Kaia. No safe word is needed." Sophie brushed off her friend's comment before confidently marching over to the group.

She had come here with so many expectations and had prepared to just act as calm and collected as she could manage. Therefore, she had to refrain from allowing Kaia to drag her into creating drama that was so far from necessary.

"Ay, they finally arrive; but late as always!" Zaiden called out the moment Sophie approached the area they were all sat in.

All eyes immediately fell on her yet she didn't feel any nerves. With her eyes on Zaiden, it felt like nothing had changed and no years had passed, when in actual fact, that was so far from the truth.

"I'm never late, you're just early." Sophie remarked as a small smile reached her lips.

Finally allowing her own gaze to skim the faces around the room, it was then she felt a few of those nerves erupt throughout her body. It was an unusual experience for her yet it was justifiable due to the many changes around her.

Each of the guys were there as usual however, there were a couple of new faces too. Sophie immediately guessed they were all relationships she hadn't been aware of due to her own missing presence for the past few years and that just added to the discomfort. She wasn't sure what to do with herself or how to approach the situation. She now felt like the odd one out; the girl who had always been the center of attention among this group, now felt like she was fully out of the loop.