Chapter 11

"Hello, what can I do for you today then?" The doctor asked once Sophie had taken a seat in the room.

"I've just been feeling rough these past few weeks. I've been so tired, I've been feeling sick...I don't know if it's just down to stress because I work quite a lot but I just wanted to check to be sure."

"Okay." The doctor nodded along. "Are you being sick or do you just feel it?"

"I have only been sick once or twice, other than that it's just been feeling it."

"And have you noticed a slight temperature, any sort of dizziness or..." The doctor continued to ask a range of questions, all of which Sophie shook her head to.

She was already feeling as though this was going to be a wasted trip and she was probably just making a fuss.

"Just to check also, have you had any missed periods? Do you think there is a chance you could be pregnant?"

That question had Sophie pretty much stunned in her seat as she couldn't quite bring together a collection of words to answer with.

"Is that a possibility?" The doctor asked once again, bringing Sophie's attention back.

"No, no, definitely not." She replied, frantically shaking her head. "I'm on the pill. I don't miss taking it or anything... I'm always really good with that."

The doctor could see her obvious nerves and smiled back at her sympathetically.

"Okay, Sophie. I'll give you a form to go and take some blood tests as soon as possible and if you wouldn't mind, I would really like to do a pregnancy test... just to put my own mind at rest."

Her calming words were not at all making Sophie feel any better about the situation.

"Er... yeah sure. That's fine." She agreed because she hadn't really been left with much choice. If it made the doctor feel better about the diagnosis she was going to give, she would go along with it.

...

After being tested there and then, Sophie was sat back down in front of her as she waited on the results. It was a tense situation to be in, especially when she was sat here alone with no back up or support waiting for her outside.

So therefore, when the doctor spoke the words 'you're pregnant', Sophie's face paled once again as a sickening feeling erupted in her stomach.

"What?" She bit, not wanting to believe what she had just heard. "There has to be a mistake."

"There is no mistake. You are definitely pregnant but if you would like to speak to someone..." The doctor began to suggest when she noticed the displeasing tone to Sophie's voice but she was quickly cut short.

"No. I'm fine." She responded before quickly taking the documents from the doctor's hand and getting up from her seat. "Thank you." She said before instantly leaving.

Once outside the surgery, Sophie didn't know what to do with herself. She had no car so couldn't hide away and react to the information in peace, so instead was left out in the open, completely exposed to everyone who was about.

"Shit, shit, shit, shit." She cursed over and over as her hands raised to cover her face.

She had noticed the symptoms but she had ignored them. She had completely ignored them hoping it was something else but she had been wrong to do it.

She should have known the moment she missed her period. She should have known the moment her hormones began giving her the worst attitude possible because she had experienced it before.