Chapter 38

Elliot's engagement party (part 2):

"Congrats both of you." Sophie said as she approached Elliot and Erika.

This moment was one she had been slightly nervous about due to the circumstances. She had heard from others that Erika was skeptical and uneasy about Sophie and she was also approaching Elliot for the first time since having Phoebe. It was inevitable it was going to be awkward.

"Thanks, Soph." Elliot was first to respond as he embraced her into a hug, holding on for a little longer than necessary before Sophie looked over to Erika.

"And it's nice to finally meet you."

While Sophie was approaching the situation with confidence and a smile it was obvious how on edge Erika was. She was holding back and just by the tiny amount that her lip lifted at an attempt of a smile was a give away of that.

"Yeah, you too." Was Erika's quiet response, barely giving Sophie eye contact.

There were a few seconds of awkward silence where no one really knew what to say. Elliot was watching Sophie while Erika watched Elliot and everyone was avoiding speaking up.

"So where is Phoebe?" Elliot was the first to finally speak and his question just doubled the awkwardness for Sophie.

She wasn't sure how to approach this situation and had hoped it wouldn't be brought up. After the amount of times Sophie has refused to have children with Elliot in their relationship, she felt a little guilty now knowing how badly he still wanted them.

However, as he seemed eager to hear about her and actually meet her, Sophie complied.

"Just there, with Aaron." She pointed over in his direction before signalling him over.

Taking hold of his daughters hand, he slowly walked over to them at Phoebe's speed, waiting as she occasionally stopped to nose around at everyone in the room.

As Aaron and Phoebe approached, Sophie watched as Elliot's eyes focused on the two year old. He was speechless for a moment, looking at her in admiration and not being able to form a sentence.

Sophie was freaking out on the inside, instantly regretting agreeing to this but Aaron jumped to the rescue.

"You want to say hi, baby?" He asked as he crouched down to his daughters height.

Looking across to her dad who was now mirroring her height, Phoebe looked a little unsure.

"That's Elliot. He's Mummy's friend."

Sophie was still frozen on the spot but watching Aaron with so much love. She knew this was probably just as difficult for him due to their past but he was doing it for Sophie.

He knew she felt guilty after everything she had been through with Elliot and felt like she owed him this moment. Aaron couldn't stop that.

Also crouching down to her height, Elliot held his hand out as a gesture of reassurance to the little girl.

Looking back to Aaron once again questionably, he gave her a warming smile that of which was enough confidence filling for Phoebe as she walked over to Elliot.

Instead of taking his hand though, she approached him with a hug, something that not only took him off guard but Sophie and Aaron too.

"V. B." She pointed a finger to her chest, her usual way of greeting all the new people she had met so far.

"My names Elliot." Was Elliot's reply as he looked at her with a beaming smile.

Even though this whole exchange was clearly showing so much joy, Sophie could read through it; he was heartbroken.