Chapter 51

As Sophie pulled open her office door and made her way inside, Erika stopped spinning in the chair and turned to look up at her. There was absolutely no shock evident on her face so Sophie knew this meant she had also obviously known exactly what she was applying for.

"Hey!" Erika piped up, in an overly friendly tone, that Sophie had not yet experienced from her.

Not giving her a response for a few seconds, she made her way over to her desk and sat down before speaking up.

"Hi."

It was obviously awkward but it took a lot to make Sophie feel uncomfortable therefore, she was happy to drag it out. However, Erika on the other hand was cringing from the tension and was looking as though she physically could not take it any longer.

"I've brought everything it said I had to in the email." Erika quickly dug into her bag to break the awkward silence before pulling out a collection of paper.

Handing it over to Sophie, it was taken from her hands before Sophie spent the next two minutes skimming over it all.

As she read over the CV, alongside other files that had been essential, she was beginning to question even more why Erika had even showed up here.

"Right, so are you ready?" She asked with a forced smile and when she got a confused expression from Erika, she elaborated. "For the interview."

"Oh yeah, of course. I'm ready!" Erika chuckled and it was in that moment that Erika hadn't expected things to pan out quite how they were.

She usually had the upper hand because she knew how to aggravate Sophie more than Sophie knew how to aggravate her. She had also expected this whole interview situation to be carried out on a friendly basis and for Sophie to act just as light-hearted about the scenario as she was.

However, that was not the case.

Sophie was purposely taking it more seriously than she usually would and putting on her most formal front to attempt to make her realise she was not up for messing around.

"So why do you want this job?" Was the first question she threw her way, one of the easiest yet the one that she would be judged for the most.

"Well, I absolutely love the idea of working in fashion. It's been a dream of mine since I was a little girl so even getting a pinch of that would be amazing. I know working as an assistant wouldn't involve the full lot but just getting to observe all the extras would be amazing."

When Sophie nodded her head but didn't give a verbal response, Erika felt as though she needed to continue and ended up saying things she knew sounded stupid.

"I remember as a teen I would be obsessed with movies like The Devil Wears Prada and The Hills! I can imagine being surrounded by people in that kind of business." She beamed at the idea. "Like the women trotting around in heels way too high for them while they fail to complete their endless list of tasks and then walking into the canteen and no one actually eating anything but fruit and salad."

Erika was laughing by this point but Sophie wasn't. She didn't find the remark at all funny and instead just found it offensive.

"Well you'd be disappointed. This is a real job and not like the stereotypical movies you watch. People do eat here, so you'd definitely see girls walking around in heels too high for them with a big arse burger in their mouth." Sophie responded with a sarcastic smile with looks that could kill.

"Er... yeah, of course." Erika continued to laugh but had reduced it to a nervous chuckle.

This was the first time she had felt slightly intimidated by Sophie and it did not feel good in the slightest.