Chapter 67 - part 2

Once Jess had slammed the door shut in her mum and sister's faces, not being able to look either of them in the eye, she remained still as she caught her breath. She was still facing the door, with her hand on the handle and felt as though she physically could not move.

However, she soon became aware of a presence behind her as his feet were heard walking across the wooden flooring and her heart completely sunk when he mumbled the word 'shit', showing he had heard everything.

Slowly turning around so she was facing him, Jess could see the pain across Jack's face, mirroring that of her own. Neither of them knew what to say or what to do as not only had they been through this situation once before, it was an extremely sensitive one.

"Fuck." Jack continued as his hands ran over his face.

He was trying to make sense of what he had heard Jazmine say and unsure of how to go about processing the information. He had been through this once before and gone onto build a relationship with Kian, only for it to be torn away from him.

However, with Jazmine serious this time and claiming she could prove it with a DNA test and just by looking at the boy, Jack knew it was going to be different this time.

He was full of utter guilt for not knowing and not being in this little boy's life, but also a sickening feeling knowing his wife stood before him would be broken.

That was her sister.

Jack had a child with Jess' sister.

It made her feel completely sick.

Jack had been only eighteen when Jazmine had given birth. Still engaged in his party antics, completely unaware of the fact he had a son.

He'd then gone onto meet Jess, going through so much and having a child with the woman he loved more than anything. However, now he was finding out that there had been so much more to it all than he had ever realised.

"You have another son." Jess breathed, not knowing what else to say as the heartbreak completely consumed her.

She knew Kian would have to be put first in all of this and she never wanted him to go without love but it also hurt, a lot.

"I'm so sorry, Jess." Jack replied, feeling so guilty even though he couldn't have done anything to change it.

This had all happened before he had even met Jess. If he had have known he had a child with her sister when they met, things would have probably never got this far between them.

"It's not your fault." Jess began shaking her head as Jack reached out for her hands, trying to urge her into him but she completely froze.

She didn't know how she felt. She didn't know how to be around Jack. Her mind wasn't giving her body any signals.

She just felt as though she was in a trance. Unable to move or respond to anything that was happening around her.

"I'm so sorry." Jack continued as he instead wrapped his arms around her body and physically pulled her into him.

Placing a kiss to the top of Jess' head, Jack then looked across to the door that had just been shut behind Jazmine. He just stared at it as the images of Kian came flooding to his mind again.

He remembered when he first found out he was his son and met him for the first time. He had met him at the park and felt an instant need to protect this little boy from everything... even his own mum.

Flashback:

As Jack pulled up at the park he had arranged to meet Jazmine, he paused, remaining in his seat for a few minutes as the nerves were bursting through him.

Once he had finally pep talked himself into getting out, he repositioned the hat on his head before wandering over to where he saw Jazmine in the distance.

She was sat smoking on a bench while the boy was stood with a football, keeping himself entertained as he kicked it about.

"Oi!" Jazmine called over to him when she noticed Jack. "Come and say hello to my friend, he's come to see you."

Jack shook his head, rolling his eyes automatically at her approach to this but nevertheless tried to play along.

"Hey man, I'm Jack." He smiled, looking down at the shy boy. "What's your name?"

Jack watched as he looked over to Jazmine, unsure of what to do.

"You can speak to him." She held out her hands as if he was stupid.

"I'm... um... Kian." He looked down to the floor.

"You like football?" Jack urged his head to the ball, trying to ease in the conversation.

Kian nodded.

"I'm not very good though."

"Show me. You looked like you were having fun." Jack stood back, giving him the space he needed.

Kian then began trying to kick the ball about, before attempting to do some kick ups but only managing two, before looking to Jack and shrugging his shoulders.

Jack tucked his phone and keys into his pocket before holding out his hand.

"Mind if I show you something that might help?" He asked and Kian was quick to throw over the ball.

Placing it onto his foot, he then began to mirror what Kian had done, before giving him a few tips on how to improve his technique. It was such a simple gesture but the boy watched on in pure fascination, as if he had never been given this sort of attention and patience before.

"What happened to it?" Jack then spun the ball around in his hand, looking at all the holes and ripped off bits of material. "It looks a bit destroyed, dude."

"I got it for my fourth birthday. Mummy couldn't get me another one." His face suddenly dropped, as did his voice when he spoke.

Pausing, Jack refrained himself from saying something to make Jazmine realise how selfish she was. She was vile and clearly not putting Kian first and it was sickening to see.

"I have an idea, wait there." Jack finally replied, before jogging over to his car and pulling open the boot.

He then grabbed the football he kept in there for whenever he took Ellie and Harvey to the park before taking it back over to Kian and holding it out towards him.

"How about we do swaps? You can have this brand new one and I'll have this old thing."

The smile that spread across Kian's face was unmissable, yet he reluctantly held out his hands to take it, looking back to Jazmine for permission who was paying no attention at all.

"Thank you." He grinned, before feeling unsure if whether to hug Jack or not.

He decided not to and just took a couple of steps back.

"You're welcome. Now you keep practising alright?" He smiled before placing his cap onto Kian's head and making his way over to Jazmine.

She looked up at him as he arrived, stubbing out her cigarette and closing her magazine.

Her eyes widened with satisfaction as he dug into his pocket and pulled out some cash, ranging to about five hundred pounds.

"Instead of being selfish and spending all your money on drugs, how about your buy your poor son some clothes Jazmine, they don't fit him."

End of Flashback.

Jazmine had been so selfish and careless that Jack's paternal instinct had instantly kicked in and that was exactly what was happening right now. Yet he also knew how tough it was going to be because while he wanted to jump straight into providing for the innocent little boy in any way he could and provide a better life, he also knew how difficult it would be for Jess.

He was stuck in a tough situation that he didn't know how to deal with so instead of thinking too much into it, he just held Jess close to him; wanting to give her as much reassurance as he possibly could.

💜💔