Chapter 50

After confirming a deal on the garage in Cambridge that morning, the previous owner had left Jack, Dan and Aaron to it. They three of them had then set up base in the centre of the bare structure and got to work on planning where to go next. There was so much that needed to be done, including redoing the whole place, searching for employee's and advertising the business to get their first set of loyal customers.

However, their concentration on the plans in front of them were very soon distracted when Dan's phone began ringing. Usually he would just shrug it off and let it go to voicemail as there was nothing worse than someone needing your attention when your mindset had to be elsewhere. But this time, he did quite the opposite and grabbing his phone off the side he made his way outside the garage before answering it.

Jack watched him leave in confusion before looking back at Aaron who was presenting the same expression. Neither knew what the rush had been to not only answer it but go out of earshot where he could answer it in peace.

"What the hell is up with him? He didn't waste a second." Jack furrowed his brows. "It's like someone lit a spark up his arse."

Aaron couldn't hold back at his laughter at Jack's comment causing the same reaction to come from Jack.

"I swear both my parents have been acting so fucking weird."

It had been something that had been on Jack's mind since Louise had been quiet and reserved at the BBQ. He wasn't quite sure what was happening between them but had instantly pinned on the idea that they had been in some sort of argument.

His parents rarely argued. They of course had the minute bickers over stupid things as any couple would who had been married for as long as they had. However, other than that they managed to work through all the bigger issues. They claimed it was something that happened with age and that they knew one another well enough now to know when to stop pushing.

However, Jack was now adamant there was something more going on than just a bicker between the two of them considering they were both acting in the strangest way.

....

"Hello?" Dan answered his phone with practically a whisper.

He recognised the number instantly and it was the one number he never wanted to see appear on his phone again. He felt sick the moment it started ringing on the table in front of him and couldn't even bring himself to look at Jack who was completely clueless. Therefore, he didn't waste a second in grabbing the phone and rushing out of the garage.

If the phone call was regarding what he thought it would be, he didn't want to have the conversation in front of his son. He knew the truth was going to come out eventually but they had made a promise to keep it secret for as long as possible for the sake of their happiness.

"Hello, is that Dan Lawrence?" The friendly voice on the other end replied and Dan began nodding his head. However, realising the female on the other end was unable to tell he had given a response, he finally responded with a quick 'yes'.

"Louise's husband. Is that correct?" She continued and Dan felt as though he had been punched in the chest.

"Yeah that's me. Who's calling?" He finally managed to force the words out.

He knew exactly who was calling but he had to hear it confirmed before he forced himself to believe it.

"My name is Hope. I am nurse from Brighton hospital." The calming voice began as Dan ran a hand over his mouth, trying to cover up his heavy breathing that would signal his pure panic.

This conversation felt as though it was moving in slow motion; as though everything around him was happening in half the time and he just wanted it all to be over.