Chapter 77

"What was so important?" Jay asked as he hovered in Juliet's doorway.

After trying to ignore her many calls and messages, it had failed when she continued to blow up his phone. Therefore, reluctantly agreeing to her pleads he arrived at her door a few hours later looking beyond annoyed.

"You can come in." Juliet pulled the door open wider but Jay didn't move.

"I don't have time. Hurry up, what is it?"

When Juliet had heard that Jay was back and completely different to the guy they all used to know, she had trouble believing it. In her mind, he was bad enough anyway and had never been much of a 'nice guy' however, finally getting in contact with him herself, she realised people were not making a fuss.

He seemed so much colder than he used to be and as though he didn't have time for anyone but himself. He constantly seemed vacant from the world around him and instead always so focused on whatever was running through his own mind.

"Can't we just do this inside?"

Juliet's aggravation didn't faze Jay as she yet again tried to get him to come in the apartment. Instead, he remained stood in the doorway, in earshot of any of her neighbours who happened to pass by.

"Speak up or I'm leaving." He ordered, glimpsing down at the time on his phone.

"It's Matt." Juliet stressed as she leaned on the door. "Have you heard about..."

"Him trying to get full custody?" Jay asked, finishing her sentence and gaining a surprised nod from Juliet. "Yeah, I heard. What does this have to do with me?"

"I need your help, Jay."

While Juliet was stood before Jay in a complete fluster, he looked completely unfazed and annoyingly calm. It was obvious he didn't care about her drama but Juliet had hoped he would have a heart in there somewhere.

"I don't understand why he is doing this. I need you to help stop it, please."

"This has fuck all to do with me. You're wasting my time." Jay sighed, backing up to leave causing Juliet to fall into panic.

"I don't know what to do but I can't lose my son!" Juliet called out, causing him to stop. "Please."

"Yet again, this is none of my business. I haven't spoken to Matt in days."

"I know but as my brother, can't you act like you care for a moment? Hunter is your nephew!"

Juliet's words caused Jay's face to turn cold as he looked sternly back at her. Those words were not ones he wanted to hear as it made him feel both sick and angry. While being in Vegas he had worked so hard to part himself from those here in Brighton and any relationships he had that could fuzz up his mind. Therefore, having Juliet confront him with the 'brother' title was not something he appreciated hearing.

"We may share genetics but I'm not your brother. I never have been so therefore, I have no reason to help you."

The bitterness in Jay's tone killed. He really didn't care and there was nothing but spite and hatred in his words. Juliet had obviously hit a sensitive spot and she was partly regretting going there.

"I don't know why he is doing this but it's your problem to figure out and not mine." Jay finished up before turning to walk away once again. "Are we done here? Can I leave?"

"Please Jay. He's been acting so strange and can't you at least talk to him?"

Sighing, Jay clenched his hand into a fist while trying to calm his anger.