Part 12 - Ice Queen

"You still smoke then." Sophie remarked as she suddenly appeared in Aaron's view, clearly startling him.

Instead of going to get the drinks as promised, he had instead made his escape out of here as a bit of relief. Sophie had been riling him up by the second and he wasn't prepared to make a scene in front of the fairly new girlfriend in his life. She didn't need that drama.

"This is my first one in about 7 months." Aaron muttered while exhaling smoke from between his lips. "Can you tell I'm fucking ecstatic to have you back?"

"Ouch." Sophie clipped before reaching out to remove the cigarette from his hand.

Placing it between her own lips, she inhaled before tilting her head slightly and exhaling the smoke into the small space that surrounded them.

"You don't need it. It's a bad habit."

"You think you still have a say?" Aaron questioned, clearly trying to hold back from showing his true frustrations.

There was so much he wanted to say to Sophie right now yet he wasn't even sure he had the effort for it. She was exhausting and she had only been in his presence for a matter of minutes.

"Of course."

"Wrong answer." Aaron replied as he took the cigarette back into his possession and continued to smoke it to provide him with some relief. "I didn't realise you were even coming tonight."

"Well surprise!" Sophie let a small smile reach her lips, one that she knew would just piss him off even more.

Anything she did at this point would add to his anger, so she felt like she may as well have a little bit of fun with it.

Watching as Aaron leaned back against the large building, she took note of the way he wasn't even looking at her. His eyes focused in the distance the entire time, as though he could be physically looking straight through her.

"Your girlfriend seems nice." Sophie spoke so monotonely that it was difficult to believe she was truly sencere. "How long have you been dating?"

"6 months." Aaron quipped, clearly not wanting to discuss this with her.

"I heard you've gained two new kids from the relationship too. I bet that's fun."

Although it was obvious that comment had caused some kind of emotion within Aaron, he did everything to remain placid. His kept focused ahead until he felt Sophie's hand brush against his. It was when he looked down that he watched her remove the cigarette from his possession once again.

Repeating her actions from before, Sophie placed it between her lips while keeping her eyes firmly on him. She was awaiting on his comment yet still unsure if he would give her one.

When his eyes did finally meet hers, she distracted herself from the contact by inhaling and exhaling again, yet this time letting the smoke mist the space between them.

It wasn't until Aaron came back into view and reached out for the cigarette that she threw it to the floor and placed her foot over the top of it.

"Have you met them?"

"Yeah." He nodded, trying to avoid her gaze once again, yet he knew Sophie's eyes had not left him.

"I bet they love having a second dad." Sophie remarked, wanting to sound cold and completely unfazed but there was a slight break in her voice that didn't go unmissed.