Chapter 34

"Jess! Hi!" The voice of Erika was heard and it instantly made her want to turn around and walk in the opposite direction.

She was in town with the kids waiting on Jack to finish work, so they could all go for dinner and she was now being met with two people she did not want to see.

As she turned around politely to acknowledge Erika, she saw the one blonde that she could not stand to this day and that complete nightmare was Ashley.

"I haven't seen you since the BBQ. It was amazing wasn't it? Thank everyone for making me feel welcome, please. I honestly had the best time." Erika went on as she hurried over and pulled Jess into a hug.

Although Juliet had spent the night with Erika at the BBQ and actually taken the time to get to know her, Jess had refused the moment she found out about her and Jack's past. Even if Elliot didn't care that his girlfriend had slept with his best friend in the past, as his wife, she wasn't so accepting.

Then just to add to the awkwardness of the situation, Ashley was stood before her; also one of Jack's past girls but with slightly more reasons for Jess to dislike her.

"Yeah, of course I will. It was a good night." Jess smiled back politely.

There wasn't a whole lot else she could do due to the fact that she had all four kids with her who were watching the exchange like hawks. They had seen Erika at the BBQ but obviously not taken any notice, as there were too many people there for them to care. Therefore, she was a stranger just as much as Ashley was.

"I know you guys know each other but I think reintroductions are a good idea... to start fresh and that." Erika went on to say as she turned to face Ashley.

"Ash, Jess... Jess, Ashley."

Erika's positive attitude towards the exchange wasn't expressed by either Ashley or Jess. It was clear neither of them were all too pleased to see one another and there was nothing less than tension flowing between them.

"Wow, it's like you've opened you own day-care." Ashley chuckled as she looked to each of the kids and Jess was doing everything in her power to not bite back.

Ashley may still want to act like an immature child but Jess had grown up over the past eight years and she was more than happy to show it.

"It's good to see you both but I really have to go." Jess then gave an unconvincing smile in Erika's direction before trying to walk off.

However, it was clear the brunette was too excited by this whole situation to let her go and instantly called her to a stop once again.

"Wait, wait, Jess! There is something I wanted to tell and ask you..."

Turning around once again with a questioning look over her face, Jess wasn't sure where this was going to go.

"We were going to keep it quiet and low key because I know everyone has their opinions but..." She began, leaving a gap in her sentence for suspension. "...Elliot and I got engaged! We want to have a gathering-party kind of thing and I wanted you and Juliet to help me arrange it."

Jess' eyes widened as she was silenced though pure shock for a few minutes.

Not only was she shocked that Elliot had got down on one knee for this woman already, she also was speechless at her enthusiasm to have Jess' help in organising the engagement party.

She may be dating Jess' husband's friend but Jess herself had only just met this woman and she was already acting as if they had known one another for months.

"I know it's a huge ask but it was so fun at the BBQ and you and Juliet are great. I could really do with the help."

There was no hiding the fact that Erika was seriously trying to fit in. Whereas Juliet found the lengths she was going to quite sweet, Jess found it sickening. It didn't help that she didn't like the girl due to the fact she had slept with Jack but it wasn't just that. She was trying way too hard to be a part of the friend/family group they already had formed and wasn't waiting to be welcomed in.

"Um... well..." Jess began to stumble with her words as she wanted to find the politest way to say no.

"It will be so fun." Erika continued to push, causing Jess to discretely sigh. There was no way she was going to get out of this.

"Yeah, sure. I'd love to help." She smiled once again, with no honest meaning behind it and it was in that moment that she saw Jack approaching from over Erika's shoulder.

She watched as he caught sight of not only Erika but Ashley too before the word 'shit' was mouthed as he turned around and began walking the other way.

Noticing Jess' gaze, Ashley turned around and caught sight of him before he could escape.

"Jack! Oh my God." That annoyance of a voice called out as she opened her arms. "Long time no see."

Pulling him into a hug, Jack's body tensed as he politely returned the gesture.

"Yeah, very long time." He chuckled before making his way to Jess.

She could feel his hand slide around her back before squeezing her side, as if out of reassurance.

"How have you been? Are you still running the garage?" Ashley went onto ask and Jess was getting more aggravated by the minute as she watched her eyes trail over his body.

"Yep, sure am." Jack kept his answer brief before adjusting the cap on his head. "Sorry to ruin this little gathering but I really need to steal my wife."

Running his hand down the length of Jess' arm, Jack's hand connected with Jess' before trying to urge her and the kids away. But once again, another attempt at escaping was cut short.

"I've moved back here you know, so I'll probably see you around." Ashley called out and the glance she gave Jess was enough to make her realise she was purposely trying to get to her.

"Yeah maybe." Was Jack's short response yet this girl was not getting the hint.

"Erika's and Elliot's engagement party; you can buy the first drink."

When Jack didn't react in the same shocked manner that Jess had done when the news had been presented to her, it was obvious he already knew.

Elliot had told Jack himself and even though at the time he had been taken back by how fast it had been, he was now just going along with it.

Elliot seemed happy enough and after many years of struggling to get over the past, who was Jack to knock him from his current 'head in the clouds' fairytale? Things with him and Jess had moved quickly so who was to say the same couldn't work for Elliot?

"If he doesn't change his mind in that time, yeah." Jack responded, raising his brows in a teasing manner.

"You little twat." Erika bit back while Jack just turned to laughter.

"You're not exactly going to make life easy for him, are you?"

"Maybe she won't but your wife isn't a walk in the park either, is she?" Ashley added with a smug smile over her face.

She was trying to make it look like a joke but the dig wasn't missed by Jess nor Jack.

"Eight years later and she still has me head over heels in love... must be doing something right." Jack remarked before lifting Jess' hand to his lips.

Although Ashley was glaring back with looks that could kill, Erika was trying her hardest to say something that would break the current tension.

It was obvious with Ashley being back in town that things would not run smoothly for the couple, as trouble would be right around the corner.

It was as though just as everyone was trying to grow up and create new lives for themselves away from the drama, things and people from their pasts were coming back to bite them in the arse.

It was fates way of telling them that things were never going to be easy and that no matter how hard they tried, for this particular group of people, they would always be fighting some kind of battle.

💜
💜