Chapter 26

It was a Thursday evening and with Aaron and Jack out with a few of the guys catching up, Jess and Sophie also took the opportunity to do that too. However, the difference this time was that they were sitting in Sophie and Aaron's new house.

The past few weeks had been hectic for the couple as Sophie had not only been transferring into a new job but they had also been moving. After receiving another promotion, which put her in a higher position to be able to control where and when she worked, Sophie was finally able to move back to Brighton.

She had kept her apartment in London due to it being something she would need when she did have long days working in London however, her and Aaron had also purchased their first house together.

It had been a big step in their relationship yet one they were fully ready for and showing Jess their new house was not the only huge deal Sophie had invited her over to share.

"Okay, you are killing me now, Soph. What is it?" Jess pestered her for answers.

After taking her time in the kitchen to make them drinks; claiming that she was still getting used to where everything was, Sophie finally sat down.

She was filled with so much excitement that she looked as though she was about to burst and it was clear she couldn't wait to tell Jess the news just as much as Jess couldn't wait to hear it.

"Um... well.... we're adopting!" Sophie finally let out what felt like a relief to finally say it out loud and Jess' eyes widened out of both shock and happiness.

She could see the pure joy over Sophie's face as she spoke the words and that was all she wanted to see from her best friend after everything she had been through.

"Oh my God, Soph. No way? When? What? How?"

Sophie and Aaron had kept it secret for a long time considering the process had been going on for months. It wasn't something that happened with ease and it had to be carried out slowly and correctly to ensure things worked out. However, now that they were not long from be able to bring her home, Sophie knew it was finally time that she could announce it.

"What with the whole recurrent miscarriage thing, the doctors told me that I can't actually have children. My womb isn't the correct shape and every time I get pregnant it's just going to fail." Sophie began to explain; finally speaking up about something she had been dealing with the doctors about for some time now. "So I'm going to be getting sterilised to prevent myself from going through the doomed pregnancies over and over again. However, we still wanted children..."

Jess hadn't been aware of any of this but finally hearing Sophie talk about it was refreshing. She finally felt happy and in control compared to her previous confusion and uselessness. She didn't realise how proactive Sophie and Aaron were about having children until now but she was indescribably happy for them as they had reached that point.

"My dad had always wanted to adopt and he had such strong views about it that after speaking to him I realised how rewarding it is for both us and the child." Sophie continued. "So... I spoke to Aaron and he actually agreed!"

She wasn't sure how he was going to take the idea as adoption was never an easy thing. You always had the worry of whether or not you would fully bond with them and if they would bond with you however, he had been more than willing to go ahead with it.

"Wow Soph... that is honestly, truly incredible." Jess couldn't explain the joy she was feeling for them both. "So you've found someone to adopt?" She then eagerly asked, not being able to contain her excitement for the details.

"Yeah." Sophie grinned back, biting down on her lip. "She's a little girl, two years old and we get to bring her home next week."

"Oh my God, Soph." Jess said again before reaching out to pull her into a hug. "So you have met her and everything? What's she like? Do you get to pick her name?"