Chapter 105

3 Months Later...

"This is not happening. I'm not ready." Jess gripped onto Jack's hand as she felt yet another contraction.

She had been in this hospital for the past 10 hours and the wait was becoming unbearable. When Jack had brought her here during the night, they had both expected things to be quick. Jess was giving off all the signs that she was most definitely ready to give birth however, once they arrived, they were told she still had a bit of a wait.

"I can't do it."

"You've done it four times before, I'm sure you can get through a fifth babe." Jack replied trying to be reassuring but little did he know, it was the worst thing he could say to a woman in labour.

"I don't fucking care if I've done it 100 times before. It still hurts all the same so I'd love to see you try!"

Jack had learned to take everything Jess said in this room with a pinch of salt. She was always on her last nerve throughout the whole experience so every little thing managed to annoy her. Her emotions were heightened and her hormones were going crazy therefore, she could very quickly go from needy to yelling within seconds.

"Luckily I don't have to try." Jack continued to tease as he leaned down to press his lips to her forehead.

The midwife in the room was smiling with admiration at the pair of them, knowing exactly how this went. She had delivered Ellie, Harvey and Mia so had gotten to know them extremely well. She was reaching her fifties now and still to this day, kept in touch and made sure she was here for Jess' births.

"This is the last time I go through this for us, Jack Lawrence. I swear!" Jess reached out to grab his hand once again when she felt another contraction coming. "No more. Never ever again."

"We have this same conversation every time baby. You're still not convincing me."

"I do hope you have a few more. I want to deliver some more Lawrence children before I retire." The midwife, Bessie grinned, causing Jess to laugh.

"Five is more than enough but we'll definitely still visit."

"I still remember your first." Bessie reminisced back to when Ellie was born. "You were both so young, still practically children yourself."

"It's crazy to think about it now." Jess chuckled, knowing how scared she had been yet put on such a front right up until labour began.

"You were both incredible though. Twenty years old and you were bringing a baby into this world. I remember just wanting to hug you both because you dealt with it so well."

Jess hadn't remembered dealing with it well at all and instead thought she had been a complete mess. However, Bessie thought differently and had been beyond touched to see a couple so young show so much love and support for one another in such a tough and new experience.

"I have watched you both grow into incredible adults over the years but somethings always stayed the same." Bessie began. "And that's your love for one another alongside your natural ability to be such incredible parents. I am honestly so proud of you both."

Bessie's words touched both Jess and Jack because she had seen it all. She had watched them from their most vulnerable and lost state when they were just twenty years old, to now. They were now twenty-nine years old, onto their fifth baby and were still going strong, loving not only their children unconditionally but each other too.

...

It was around fifteen minutes later when Bessie began setting herself up to see how dilated Jess was and also when Jack's phone began ringing loudly in his pocket.