Chapter 84

It had been a few days since Juliet had been working with Estee on her case and the day had arrived for her to face the court.

She was consumed with nerves and there was a sickening feeling looming in her stomach that she couldn't get rid of. She didn't know what to expect or what was going to happen but she didn't like it already. She couldn't believe it had come to this, she couldn't believe she was about to go up against her ex-husband over something like this. It was pathetic.

"You okay?" Dylan asked as they sat in his car with Juliet stalling to get out.

They had been here for a good 15 minutes but not yet moved.

"Yeah..." She whispered, knowing that if she forced her voice anymore she might end up in tears.

"It will be alright, you know? We have this." Dylan reached out to take Juliet's hand in his and gave it a gentle squeeze.

He had been her rock through all of this. He had been the one to keep her strong when she could have so easily broken down.

She knew he was feeling just as nervous about the whole situation as she was but she appreciated how he was dealing with it. If they were both a bag of nerves, it wasn't going to help anything so he was stepping up and being the support she needed.

"I just can't stop thinking about what things will be like if we don't." Juliet turned to look at him. "Hunter could be taken from us, from his family. I couldn't deal with that!"

As the tears threatened her eyes, Dylan lifted his hands to Juliet's face, cupping her cheeks.

"Don't. Don't let him do this. We will win this, Juliet. We have Estee." Dylan tried to reassure, putting his trust in a woman who had put her heart into this case since she had taken it on. It didn't look like she was ready to give up or leave without a win.

Nodding her head, Juliet accepted Dylan's words even though deep down she couldn't shrug the thoughts from her mind. She was terrified.

...

"I was worried you weren't going to show." Estee teased as Juliet and Dylan arrived outside the building.

She was so calm. How was she acting so cool about this while Juliet was a nervous wreck?

"Sorry, we were running a little late." Juliet gave her a shy smile, while squeezing Dylan's hand that was still holding hers.

"Would you like me to run through things again or are you fully prepared?" Estee asked, seeming oblivious to Juliet's nerves.

"I think I'm okay." She nodded her head, knowing that talking about it more would just make her feel worse.

"Great okay! They are a little behind schedule but that was expected, these things are never on time but we can just wait inside."

The words 'behind schedule' were not something Juliet wanted to hear when she arrived here. She just wanted to get this over and done with.

"It will be fine. Don't let your worries knock your confident face." Estee reached out and placed a reassuring hand on Juliet's shoulder. "You know you are a great mother, you just need to show those judges that you are too."

...

"Apparently they're late." Mike strolled over to where Matt and Abbie were waiting to go ahead with this.

"How late?" Matt asked, running a hand over his face through aggravation.

Abbie couldn't tell how he was feeling but he had been acting off all morning. He seemed to be distracted and it had taken Mike's words to bring him back down to reality.