Chapter 91

What should have been just any normal Saturday morning had very quickly took a turn for the worst when Sophie woke to a phone call that changed everything. It was as though no matter what happened, forces were always working against her and her bad luck was now expanding onto Aaron too.

Sophie's phone ringing had been the alarm to wake them up this morning and the call had been from Alissa (Juliet and Elliot's mum) calling on behalf of the adoption agency.

The heart-breaking words she had spoken with so much sorrow and empathy had crushed both of their hopes for things running smoothly ever again.

The phone call had been to tell them that the birth mother of the son they were supposed to be adopting had pulled out. She had backed out and decided she no longer wanted to give the baby away and wanted to keep it for herself.

Due to confidentiality reasons, they couldn't be given the full details as to why she changed her mind and that's what made it even worse. They had been preparing and building up the excitement to the day they would get to meet the new addition to their family and it had now been crushed.

After the phone call, they had both sat in complete silence for a good 20 minutes, as neither of them knew what to say. They heard about this happening to people all of the time but they genuinely never thought it would happen to them.

Even though the adoption process with Phoebe hadn't been easy, it had been much smoother than this one was planning out to be. Adopting a newborn baby always had it's risks but they truly had faith that it wouldn't have happened to them.

"It's okay." Aaron reached out to take Sophie's hand, giving it a light squeeze. "It's just a minor bump in the road. We have plenty of time."

He was trying to reassure her but Sophie's mind was all over the place. She had spent the past few weeks dealing with more than just the adoption process and it was all suddenly hitting her at once.

"This never should have happened." She shook her head, wiping the tears from under her eyes. "Why does this always happen? Why is the world so against us building a family?"

Even though this baby had not been growing inside of Sophie, she still felt like she had experienced yet another miscarriage. She had just had yet another baby torn from her and it was getting to the point where she didn't know if she could cope anymore.

On the outside, her life looked so perfect; she was full of confidence, had the perfect job and a loving fiancé. However, when you took a step inside of her bubble, you realised just how much she was like everyone else. She had her deals of bad luck and had to go through heartbreak like everyone else. Nothing about her life was perfect and it never would be.

"We have Phoebe... if we never have another child, that's okay because we have her. She means everything and no one can take that away."

Nodding her head, Sophie knew that Aaron was right but she still couldn't help feeling like she had disappointed him.

"I bet you didn't think you'd end up with someone who couldn't have their own children though." Sophie remarked back and her quick response made her feel instant regret.

The words that had left her mouth had come out so quickly that she didn't have time to stop herself. She knew it would cause a whole new topic that Aaron wouldn't let go of and she really didn't want to talk about it.

"What?" He looked down at her with a clear frown across his face.

He was confused and taken back by what he had just heard.