Chapter 66

The next day:

"Wow I'm shocked." Jess remarked sarcastically as Jay pulled up a seat opposite her.

They were sat in a local coffee shop, one they used to come to a lot to meet when Jay lived in Brighton. It felt weird this time though due to how long it had been since they had done this alongside the fact that Jay seemed like a completely different person.

"Why?" He quipped, raising an eyebrow in question.

"You came alone, without your arrangement of guards."

Jess' comment was in reference to how they had all been parading around the following night. It was clear that they were doing it to look threatening however, to Jess it was just incredibly stupid.

Looking around them, Jay soon brought his attention back to her before smirking.

"I think I'm safe here."

There were a few moments of silence where neither of them said a word. They were both just looking back at one another while trying to judge the others reaction.

Lifting the glass he had in front of him to his lips, Jay then took a long sip before placing it back on the table and speaking up.

"So why did you wanna meet? Did you change your mind on my offer?"

"No." Jess was quick to object. "I want you to tell me what the hell is going on."

When Jay didn't respond and instead continued to sip his drink as he gazed at the many people coming in and out of the shop, Jess grabbed the drink from his hand and slammed it down on the table.

"You can't just come charging in on everyone, trying to look threatening and not give an explanation Jay! Kye terrified Sophie and Lara is clearly trying to mess with Jack. What the hell is wrong with you all?"

Looking to the drink Jess had removed from his hand, Jay reached out to take it once again but he was too late. Jess grabbed hold of it and placed it onto the table behind her; giving him no other choice but to speak.

"We're just back to deal with business. I've told you."

"There is more to it. I'm not stupid. Steph warned me something was up and both you and Matt have been acting weird."

After Matt had confronted Juliet outside the club the previous night, he had then made his way inside to join everyone else. However, there were some clear differences which instantly set Matt apart from the group; starting with the casual clothes he was wearing in comparison to the rest of the gang's usual black attire.

Jay and Matt had also not spoken a word to each other all night, with Matt barely approaching any of the gang. It didn't make sense and it was strange to watch considering Matt and Jay were basically like brothers.

"Matt's throwing some shitty strop with me. That's why he was acting weird." Jay went onto explain and Jess looked back at him unsatisfied as that was most definitely not enough detail for her.

"This really is none of your business. You declined my offer to come back in, so stop asking questions." Jay demanded with a stern voice that made Jess cringe. She hated when he spoke like that to anyone but he never ever spoke in that tone with her.

When Steph claimed that Jay was different, she wasn't lying. This wasn't the same guy Jess remembered and it sucked seeing him this way.

"I don't give a shit if this is my business or not Jay. I want an explanation." Jess insisted, making sure to catch his eye contact and not allowing him to look anywhere but her.