Part 9 - living the easiest life

Start from the beginning

"He'll be fine, anyway you have someone who clearly wants to speak to you." Matt began as he glimpsed up to see Sophie heading this way. "So I'm going to run for it now and make myself a drink to save any awkward conversations."

Before Juliet had chance to argue with her husband, it was too late and he was already gone. Watching him walk away, Juliet's eyes then moved over to Sophie and she was suddenly filled with nerves once again.

It had been years since they had spoken and this woman now felt like a stranger. She didn't know how they could possibly hold a conversation unless it just consisted of the past and that wasn't their best topic to discuss.

"Thank you for being here... I really didn't expect it." Sophie announced as she took a seat beside Juliet.

She didn't want any of this to be awkward but it seemed as though it was already too late for that. She hadn't spoken to most of the people in this room for years yet now here they were and she wasn't sure how to handle it.

"I'm glad I came, I really did want to see you." Juliet replied honestly. Although she was nervous and had been dreading every second, being in Sophie's presence just reminded her of a friendship they once had and some of the good it had caused.

It was clear that Sophie was feeling the same as there was a flash of vulnerability in her eyes. As she looked at Juliet right now, she saw the girl she had always seen as her little sister. She was the girl that Sophie had felt the need to protect and be there for while they were growing up.

Although she had failed her so many times, they still managed to find a way to reconnect. Therefore, Sophie was hoping they would have that chance again.

"I'm sorry about not getting in touch for so long." Sophie muttered, purposely not speaking too loudly. She knew she had to explain herself yet she wasn't exactly sure how to go about it. "I just found that distancing myself from Brighton was the easiest thing to do."

"I understand that. I just wish it hadn't have been that way. I want you to know that we never took Aaron's side, it wasn't like that..." Juliet was attempting to explain herself too before Sophie cut her off.

"I know, honestly you don't have to say anything about it. It all just got blown out of proportion."

Nodding her head, Juliet looked down to her hands that were entwined together through the nerves. It was such a weird feeling sitting here and speaking to her after so long. They were both different people and that made them feel like such strangers now.

"You seem really happy. As much as I've missed you, the distance must have done good things."

Letting a smile form across her lips, Sophie appreciated the outlook Juliet was able to take on it all.

"They did."

"Your business for one? I don't need to ask really, I've seen your face everywhere!" Juliet emphasised with a teasing tone to her voice yet watched as Sophie scrunched up her face.

"I'm proud of everything I've done but the attention is something I don't enjoy... believe it or not." She laughed considering she had never been one to shy away from attention growing up.

Juliet couldn't help but laugh along too at the fact she was able to admit that. She knew that it was always about the work and passion for Sophie yet she did think that she would have enjoyed the perks that came along with it too. Things clearly had changed for this girl who had spent her whole life being the center of attention and loving every second of it.