"How am I supposed to trust you?" Jess bit back, finding it difficult to believe her sister's words.

Jazmine hadn't given her any reason to trust her and for all Jess knew, she could be the one lying here and not Jay.

"I can't force my trust on you but it's the truth. Why else do you think things between him and Steph have been weird?"

Even though she didn't want to believe it, Steph and Jay had been strange lately. Steph had travelled over here with the gang however; her reasons seemed to be to keep an eye on them more than anything else. She didn't seem to be showing much affection towards Jay at all and instead had her eyes on him like a hawk.

Jay had messed Steph around enough and Jess felt guilty at the thought of best friend suffering due to Jay's potential love for her.

Before Jess could say anything else, the voice of their four-year-old daughter was heard as she came running into the room, happily singing. However, her high spirits were cut short when she was suddenly faced with a stranger stood in the room while her parents sat on the sofas.

When Jack reached out for her, to provide some comfort and reassurance that everything was okay, Mia took a few steps towards Jazmine. It was a strange moment considering Mia was usually extremely shy but right now, she was showing no signs of being very timid.

Jess watched intently, wanting to just take Mia in her arms and urge her away from her sister. She knew Jazmine wouldn't hurt her but she felt the need to protect her children from a woman who would do anything to make her life hell. But when Mia took a few more and Jazmine's eyes were now on the little girl, Jess held back and watched.

"You look like my mummy." Mia suddenly spoke up as she took a close look at Jazmine before glimpsing over at Jess, clearly making the comparisons.

Jazmine looked a little taken back herself by Mia approaching her however; she crouched down to the four years olds height.

"Do you think so?" Jazmine faked a shocked reaction, a sudden soft and playful side coming out of her that was completely unexpected.

She gained a very enthusiastic nod from Mia who couldn't quite believe her eyes.

"Do you think it's the hair?" Jazmine asked as she ran her fingers through it causing a realisation to cross over Mia's face.

"Yes!" She agreed. "Yes."

Jess was watching the exchange between the two of them in awe, as she had not expected this from her sister. Jazmine was always so tough and put on such a front that this side seemed so impossible. Yes, she had a son of her own but that motherly instinct rarely showed in her actions.

"I like your hair. It's pretty."

Mia's face lit up at the compliment she had just been given, before her cheeks flushed a light pink shade.

"It's like daddy's but longer." She replied matter-of-factly. It was as though it was something she had been told before and was repeating it from memory as though it was a solid fact.

"Definitely longer." Jazmine laughed, glancing over at Jack who was also watching her in surprise.

"My sister Ellie has hair like mummy's and yours." Mia continued, finding utmost interest in this newfound conversation she was having with a woman she did not know.

"Oh yeah? What about Harvey?"

"Like daddy's." Mia answered without even having to think it through.

"And what about Addie?" Jazmine asked again, acting as though she was genuinely curious, something Mia was clearly finding joy from.

"Um..." She had to think about this one a little longer. "Like daddy and mummy's."

"So all mixed together to create one new hairstyle?" Jazmine reasoned with her and earned a giggle from the four year old.

However, before anything else could be said their conversation was cut short by Jazmine's phone ringing. She looked disappointed for a moment, as though she was actually sad that their conversation was ending.

She had shown her vulnerable side for a minute in the exchange and conversation she had just shared with Mia and it was unfortunate to watch it disappear.

"I'll be there in a minute. I'm on my way." She abruptly spoke down the phone before turning to Jack and Jess. "I have to go. Just text me or whatever if you have any more questions and I'll arrange the DNA test."

Jazmine's quick change in personality alongside escape from the situation was a bit of a shock and difficult to process at first. However, before they could respond, her attention was on Mia.

"Bye Mia." She gave her a small wave, that of which Mia mirrored. "See you soon."

"Bye." She smiled back.

With that, Jazmine began making her way out of the room before stopping in her tracks and turning to look at Jess and Jack.

"You know that no matter what goes on between us, I'll always look out for you right?" Jazmine asked as all her focus was now on Jess who was frowning back at her.

"I know I haven't really been good at showing it so far but I'm trying to be a little less bitch and a little more sister from now on."

Jazmine looked slightly uncomfortable as she spoke, clearly showing that this was not her usual manner of addressing Jess. She wasn't used to being so nice.

"And your kids are under my protection too. I won't let them get hurt by this gang or anyone else."

With that, Jazmine gave them all one last brief smile before walking out the door, leaving both Jess and Jack completely stunned by the sudden change in personality.

*

:)