Part Twenty-Five

49: No Escape From Reality

"The little Kamisato got home safely. If I guess right, the Yashiro Commissioner would have learned about what happened already. But not to worry-There won't be trouble for either of us."

Soleil felt like she could breathe better after Javert spoke. She sighed and nodded wearily, "I see. Thank you, Javert."

The Fatuus nodded. His eyes fell on the bandages around Soleil's arms and neck. He pressed his lips tensely.

"Forgive me, Miss Soleil. If I had done a better job, you would not be in such a difficult situation," he bowed his head, "I will gladly accept any punishment to atone for my carelessness!"

Soleil blinked in surprise at him. "Oh. In that case..." she smiled faintly, "Would you mind peeling an apple for me?"

"What?" Javert was confused. Soleil pointed a finger at the fruit bowl on her night stand along with a small knife.

"My clone is an excellent caretaker. But she lacks dexterity and couldn't peel an apple without scraping the flesh off," she said, "And I'm hungry. Peel an apple, if you would please."

Javert was stupefied but could not say anything. "Y...Yes, Miss Soleil," he said quietly.

In the end, he grabbed an apple and the knife. Perhaps it was because he was used to knifework, but he made excellent cuts. He placed the fruit slices in a plate and handed it to the girl confided in bed.

"Thank you," Soleil said. "Is there anything you need, Miss?" Javert asked.

Soleil hummed thoughtfully as she ate her fruit. "There must have been some nice gossip among your ranks," she smiled conspiratorially, "Share them with me."

"W-What?" Javert was taken aback with her smirk. Why would she be interested in Fatui gossip all of a sudden?

"Come on, I know you know something!" Soleil urged him with an excited grin. Javert sighed, "Miss, surely there are better things to talk about?"

"But I'm bored and that's what I'm interested in," the girl pouted. "I'm afraid I don't indulge myself in gossip. I-If I'm not mistaken, most of these talks just revolve around rumors about...well," Javert spoke nervously, "The Fatui Harbingers."

"Ah. In that case, nevermind," Soleil said disappointedly. Javert placed more sliced fruit on her plate.

"May I ask a question, Miss?" he asked. "Sure. And I told you already, no need to be so formal," Soleil pouted sternly at him.

"Well... Alright," Javert said, "What are the Harbingers really like?" Soleil glanced at him.

"Do you really want to know?" she asked. "Yes. I've heard some things, but none of us really had the chance to see the Harbingers outside of business. You are a frequent companion to them, on the other hand. Only you could have seen what they must be like," Javert replied, "I just want to know who are the people who give me my orders."

Soleil nodded thoughtfully. "I see. But I'm afraid there are some things I can't tell you. But if there is one thing I know, it's that your rumors are nothing on the Harbingers," Soleil said amusingly, "Chances are they are much worse than what you had in mind. Hehe."

"Oh..." Javert said, mildly surprised. He thinned his lips, "It must be difficult to be in your spot, then."

Soleil blinked and looked away. "It's nothing I can't manage," she said. Javert smiled.

"May I be honest with you, Miss?" he asked. Soleil tilted her head, "I suppose you can."

"Hehe. I initially had doubts when I first heard about you a few months ago. But being able to interact with you more often, I can see why you've managed to catch the Tsaritsa's attention," Javert said, "You are very young, but you know what you're doing. And I admire your perseverance."