14: The Embodiment of Love-Hate

"She didn't do much and followed the same routine, sir. She wandered around the ruins, write, eat some packed lunch... Oh! Then she petted the wolf boy that stopped by and then returned to the inn," a knight reported, standing by while watching the cavalry captain walk around the bookshelves in the library.

"A wolf boy? Hm, it must be Razor. I didn't know those two met already," Kaeya spoke.

He placed a few documents to the side and side-glanced at the knight, "Will she be leaving for the outskirts again today?"

"I believe so, captain," the knight nodded. Soleil doesn't have much to do anyway.

"Alright," Kaeya said, "See to it that wherever she is headed is cleared of any possible dangers before letting her roam about. That's all. You're dismissed."

"Sir!" the knight saluted before marching out the library. Kaeya held his chin in thought with a small frown on his face.

While Razor was a good person and he wouldn't do anything to Soleil, the knights he sent wasn't able to know when and how they met.

If they can't monitor Soleil's movements, there is bound to be some things Soleil would do without Kaeya knowing. That, alone, can put the captain on edge.

And if Soleil gets into trouble, he wouldn't know a thing. She wasn't the type of person who would tell others about her concerns either.

"How troubling," Kaeya crossed his arms. He turned when he heard a sweet giggle. Lisa was walking towards him while shutting the book in hand.

"My, my. You seem to be really active when it comes to Soleil's safety and well-being. I've never seen you like this before!" she said while her eyes twinkled with amusement.

"Is that so?" Kaeya said rather than asked, "Soleil is under my custody, as per Master Jean's orders. I wouldn't be doing a good job if I failed to keep her safe, would I?"

"Is that all? Or is there something else to it?" Lisa asked teasingly. Kaeya huffed and scoured some documents, flipping across them silently.

He ignored Lisa's stare and flipped the book. He wasn't even reading. Lisa sighed at his actions and shook her head in dismay.

"Just tell her you missed her. I can tell that both of you have so much to say, you know? It's been years since you last saw each other yet the both of you act like it's nothing. Hmph! What am I to do with you two?" Lisa crossed her arms with a stern pout.

They seem close so why does it look like they were avoiding each other? So confusing!

"Tell her, you say?" Kaeya stared at Lisa. Suddenly, he laughed and shook his head.

"Your sense of humor is getting better by the day, Lisa. All those years wouldn't affect Soleil and even if it did, she wouldn't face it alone. Haha, you should see how overprotective Regulus was of her," Kaeya chuckled.

"Regulus?" Lisa asked, confused. Then, her eyes widened.

"Are you talking about Soleil's horse? Amber spoke of how smart and adorable the horse was. She wouldn't stop talking about it," she giggled.

"That's the one," Kaeya smiled. "I see. Hm, it must be one tough horse. I can't imagine they both travelled all the way from Sumeru just to come here," Lisa said thoughtfully.

"Precisely," Kaeya smirked lightly, "It makes me wonder how she travelled for such a long time and come here safely. Imagine the dangers she may have faced but alas, a cute scholar like her arrived without difficulty. Accompanied by nothing but a horse, no less."