Epilogue: Covenant of the Flickering Dust

Heyu Tea House was closed off for the night, yet bright lanterns lit up the paper stands on the podium before the tables that would be occupied little by little.

"Chongyun, over here!"

The second son of the Feiyun Commerce Guild waved from a table occupied by Xiangling, Keqing, and little Guoba.

The young exorcist had just ascended from the red stairs, but he immediately saw Xingqiu waving from one table.

Chongyun's face lit up as he waved back, though he paused and blushed in embarrassment to see that the dignified Yuheng were sharing the seats near Xiangling.

"Hello, Chongyun," Keqing waved with a smile. "A-Ah, yes. Hello," Chongyun bowed and scurried to the seat beside Xingqiu.

His shy gaze darted to the other tables, and he would become surprised to see some other people like Yuehai Secretary Ganyu, Xiangling's master Madame Ping, alongside the esteemed gentleman Zhongli and...

"Even the Lady Tianquan is here?!" Chongyun whispered to Xingqiu in a panic. "Yep. She even has a table just for herself," Xingqiu pointed at the table besides theirs.

"A-Auntie Shenhe?!" Chongyun exclaimed when said woman emerged from the stairs. Shenhe's gradient calm eyes landed on him.

"Oh. I see she has also sent you a letter of invitation," Shenhe said. "Yeah... Miss Yun Jin suddenly sent a letter to the clan for me but I don't know what for," Chongyun replied.

"Is it for a preview of an upcoming play she's writing?" Xingqiu asked.

"Hehe. Young master Xingqiu guessed it correctly," Yun Jin giggled as she joined their table, "But it's more or less an opera instead of a play. I've all invited you to watch it exclusively under Miss Soleil's request."

"Soleil?" Chongyun was surprised. Then, he fell silent. "It's been months since we saw her. I kind of miss her already," Xiangling sighed.

"This play must be something she'd like us all to see somehow," Keqing guessed and side-glanced, "But for it to also involve the adepti... What could it be possibly about?"

"Whatever it is, I am looking forward to your performance, Lady Yun Jin," Xingqiu smiled politely. "Thank you. I will not disappoint," Yun Jin curtsied before heading to the stage.

Chongyun looked over the presented food and carefully picked out the cold desserts. He stuffed one into his mouth as he looked around, and his eyes widened to see the lone figure sitting atop a nearby rooftop.

"Is that... Adeptus Xiao?" he whispered to the rest as he glanced at the figure. Keqing noticed this and nodded.

"It is. It looks like he was also invited for the play's premiere," she said. "Woah..." Xiangling said in amazement.

"How on earth was Soleil able to convince him to do anything?" Chongyun huffed. Xingqiu laughed faintly, "Still upset about what he said about your thaumaturgy?"

"Hmph..." Chongyun just stuffed his face with sweets. There was a small glass bottle of what seemed like shards of never-melting ice hanging beside his tassel.

"Dear Shenhe... Is Cloud Retainer unable to come see the play?" Madame Ping looked at the other exorcist sitting near Ningguang.

"Oh... She said she was feeling unwell and sends her regards to Miss Yun Jin," Shenhe replied.

"Adepti get sick?" Xiangling whispered to Keqing, who smiled wryly and shrugged.

"Perhaps she is looking for an excuse not to see the performance," Zhongli mused. "Whatever for?" Madame Ping asked.