72: Nonbeliever Pleads Guilty

Yujing Terrace was particularly crowded on that day. Despite the leaden clouds threatening to spill heavy rain, the crowd refused to disperse. Chatter and murmurs buzzed like busy bees among the people.

Yanfei tapped her fingers against the bookcase hanging from her waist, trying to smoothen her thoughts. Though she was a legal advisor, this would be the first time she was holding a trial directly and she was feeling a little jittery.

She had been always focused on legal consultations in a way to prevent a trial as much as possible. However, the crimes committed by the proxy Yinyuan head cannot be rectified so easily. Thus, she prays to the Lord of Geo that she will come to a just conclusion.

Yanfei's brows were burrowing together as she looked around. Her nervousness was not truly directed at her capabilities to uphold the law in court, but to the fact that the seat beside Chongyun was empty–Hu Tao was not there to witness the trial.

The eccentric director had left to guard the 'border', according to Chongyun. The atmosphere of Wuwang Hill had become denser and more eerie. Hu Tao has foreseen the spirits would take advantage of the disarray and cross back into their world.

What or who caused the discord was beyond Yanfei. But she decided to trust Chongyun and Hu Tao. Because like her, they seem to be doing the enigmatic scholar a favor.

That same scholar walked into Yujing Terrace. She witnessed the stands set up in the center with the audience gathered round and Millelith soldiers stationed about.

Yanfei met her eyes momentarily, and Soleil made a small nod. Yanfei returned the gesture before casting a serious glance at the other court, where Xinglan stood before the stand with her hands knotted together in enchanted ropes.

Xinglan glanced at Yanfei, and her eyes glimmered with a mysterious tint. Yanfei frowned slightly, not liking the discomfort brought by Xinglan's unperturbed stare.

"It's time," Ganyu told Yanfei, who nodded. They turned to Ningguang as she sat on the high seat before them. Despite the graying clouds, Ningguang still shone like a beacon of light.

Her gaze on the crowd was enough to silence them. Ningguang pressed her fingertips together as she donned an authoritarian voice.

"The ruling is in sesson. Let the trial commence," she declared, "Miss Yanfei, step forth and present your case to the jury."

Yanfei nodded politely. She breathed in and out as she walked to her own stand opposite of Xinglan's, and her seafoam eyes regained a professional coldness to them.

"The defendant is accused of perpetrating several crimes, including embezzlement of the Yinyuan Hall's resources, an attempted assassination on the Qixing's Advisor, conspiring a coup d'etat against the true Head of Yinyuan Hall, and masterminding the instances of demonic summoning across Liyue," Yanfei's eyes narrowed, "Miss Xinglan, do you deny any of this?"

"Naturally," Xinglan said, slightly shrugging. Yanfei made an inaudible snort, "Of course you would. Please bring out Exhibitions 1-A and 2-B."

A soldier pushed a cart to the center of the platform, in front of Ningguang's desk. There were two different documents encased in translucent Geo barriers to prevent tampering.

"Exhibition 1-A consists of official documents approved by the Ministry of Civil Affairs. Your Honor, if you shall browse through these transcripts, you will find illogical and inconsistent reports on the Yinyuan Hall's budget, which is particularly evident during this year's Moonchase Festival," Yanfei explained.

"Exhibition 2-B, on the other hand, is clear evidence of Miss Xinglan contacting an assassin's guild to place an order on Advisor Soleil's head. A record from the post office shows that Miss Xinglan has sent out a letter on 9/23. The letter was traced to the assassin's guild but unfortunately, we are unable to receive any confessions. The guild has shut itself down for unknown reasons, and its members were either declared missing or retired."