42: Between Obligations and Loyalty

At this point in time, it would be unwise to say that Soleil wasn't a remarkable person.

She has mastered her own craft, had practiced alchemy, was fluent in multiple languages and mimicked dialects as if she was a native herself.

She knew exactly how to speak with people who had varying personalities and get on their good side. With her appeal, she can even strike agreements where she and the other party could benefit, too.

She could use a Delusion without backfiring and remained unscathed–an exception to most. Forget having a fake Vision. Soleil has proven time and time again that Visions don't always determine those who deserved attention and those who don't.

But such talents wouldn't easily be acquired with ease. What did Soleil go through to get where she is right now?

Albedo was never idle and it was thanks to his curious mind that he often found something to do.

But on a particular day, he sat on his chair and stared at the blank canvas for what seemed like hours. He tapped the paintbrush against his thigh and he remained occupied with his thoughts, unable to paint.

Soleil's body was safe during the utilization of the Delusion. But he saw the slightest change in her demeanor while she was surrounded by sparks of black matter. Her golden eyes were a cold light and it almost made her a different person.

Only when she stopped using the Delusion did she return to her usual self. If Albedo took what she said into account, then she tried to remember all the things that would make her angry.

There were different kinds of angry people. There were those who yelled and those who go on a rampage.

But it was those who went silent that were the deadliest of them all. They said nothing, but the dark aura would envelope their entire being and scream for others to stay away.

Anger would usually be the downfall of most, but it was this kind of people that only used anger as a stepping stone. A really, high stepping stone.

That was Soleil. She was unpredictable and even the genius alchemist himself couldn't tell what she would do.

One thing he was sure of was that Soleil had many secrets. While Albedo never cared much for prying into other's business, Soleil wasn't doing much to shy away from those who wanted to figure her out.

It's either she was confident they would not succeed or it was because she trusted the people making an attempt. And she was either mocking Albedo or believed in him when she let him study her crafted pins.

It was a challenge and if she doesn't mind Albedo trying to see into her secrets, then he wasn't going to mind either.

What a peculiar girl, Albedo thought. He dipped his paintbrush in yellow and orange, blending it to make a shade and paint on the canvas with strokes.

He eventually ended up painting an eye, with detailed golden strokes and highlights that represented mischief and liveliness.

He's never seen eyes like Soleil's before. They were a brass vault containing treasure only scholars and academic pursuants desire: knowledge. Naturally, this would attract his attention, too.

The alchemist stared at the painting. Albedo was never the type to lie. If Soleil had successfully caught his interest, he won't deny it.

"Am I intruding on your quality time?"

Albedo side-glanced. Snow crunched underneath the boots of the cavalry captain until he reached the workshop, making a small wave.

Albedo sighed and turned his canvas away from Kaeya's direction subtly.