79: Let It Go

"You're doing a splendid job, arena. Keep up the good work."

"Really? Then... Can I take a moment to rest? I'm getting tired..."

It was a blur. The flare of the sunlight on Soleil's eyes made it a little difficult to see her face when she cast a shadow on her. However, the displeased press of her lips could be seen.

"Very well. We shall take fifteen minutes to rest. After that, we shall resume. We are close to completing the project now that the first stage has finally been completed and corrected. We must not waste such an opportunity."

"But...just fifteen minutes?"

She winced when she turned back to her with a cold look on her face.

"The sun is almost setting. I must see this done before then so take the time to rest. I will not slow down progress for your being lax. Complacency is a disease. Do you understand?"

"...Yes, ma'am."

"Good. Now rest. I will need you to bring test samples from the grounds of Humus. You are immune to them, correct? Bring them to me within the hour."

The creation of life is said to come from the essence of soil, the manifestation of time and being.

In a way, it does. Compared to the heavenly firmaments above and the untouchable abyss below, soil was ever transient–the only one to have existed when everything else was still in its most ethereal. Soil is the vessel of being itself. Thus, this is where life would sprout and come forth.

And soon... One born from soil itself would transcend the boundaries with art and the purest form of knowledge and enlightenment.

It was the apex of achievement for one who treads the path of enlightenment. One who seeks knowledge of how the world itself operates. Alchemists were such people, and they desired two things.

Ultimate enlightenment and the perfection of the Magnum Opus. Soleil was either blessed or cursed to see such instance at a very young age.

Pure, untainted light came from the womb of man's art. Life was meant to be born from the unity of two halves. It has always been that way.

But she witnessed it with her own two eyes–a miracle made by human hands. At first, it was a sight to behold. Within the glass womb, a life form of humanly perfection would receive its first heartbeat.

Soleil shed a tear, her heart brimming with joy and happiness. She softly placed a small hand against the glass womb, her eyes full of adoration.

"He's beautiful."

"He is," she would reply, "He truly is."

At first, Soleil thought it was a sentiment made to agree with her. They both wanted the same thing, did they not? For humans to prosper without the meddling of the divine?

In a way, yes... But she wanted to achieve this in a different manner. While Soleil treated the precious lifeform inside the glass womb as art, to her...

It was a weapon. That glass womb was nothing else but a tank where her finest creation was undergoing the last phase of 'birth'.

At first, it was a sight to behold. But when she finally awoke, it was nothing else but a day of terror.

"Disappointing."

Her safest refuge so far had finally went up in flames. Everything was red, except for the cold gaze on her face. It was stoic. At the same time, furious.

"You would dare betray me? I, who gave you a sense of purpose?"

"This isn't what I wanted."