69(Ludi Harpastum): Water and Ice

Kaeya never expected he would have to do paperwork during his leave. But there he was, willingly and intently reading over some written and official documents.

But none of these papers were from the headquarters. No. It was the set of Soleil's documents and records he had one of his contacts gathered.

He had skimmed over them numerous times and even found the will to read them word by word. But it seems that he couldn't find what he was looking for.

Kaeya was relieved by this. Still, he had a gut feeling saying he wasn't looking at the right angle. He let go the paper in hand and leaned against his bedpost.

"Tsk," he glared at the wall. It can't be right. Just...everything was alright. Right?

Kaeya sighed and put away the documents inside his bedside drawer. He paced back and forth with his thumbs hooked unto the band of his slacks.

What was he missing? Or did he get the wrong intel? He sure hoped he did. Many times did he wish for his guesses to be wrong, but the opposite would always happen.

He wished he was wrong one more time. Because if it turns out he was right... Then he really didn't have enough time.

Kaeya contemplated anxiously. However, his messy train of thought broke when he spotted a flash of red speed by the window.

He got curious. He went over to his window to check but halted when he heard rapid knocks by the porch.

"Kaeya! Kaeya, please open up!"

It was Amber. The panic in her voice was enough for Kaeya to dress up and go down to open the door.

"Amber," he said, looking down on the Outrider. The height difference had always been a topic to tease Amber about but none were in the mood.

"Kaeya..." Amber breathed heavily. "Catch your breath first, then tell me what's the problem," Kaeya told her.

Amber breathed in and exhaled. She gave Kaeya an anxious look, "I went out to find a good picnic spot. B-But I couldn't go through the gates."

"Did the knights initiate a lockdown?" Kaeya asked confusingly. Amber shook her head.

"No. There was a group of Fatui outside the gates. Nobody wanted to get out. There was also a scary Snezhnayan guy leading them," she said.

"Another diplomat, perhaps?" Kaeya said. "If it was, you need to go," Amber said worryingly, "Soleil is with them and the guy was definitely dangerous. The bloodlust he gives off isn't normal."

That's all Amber had to say. Within the next second, Kaeya had bolted past her and ran towards the gates. Amber flinched in surprise but decided to follow after.

Kaeya didn't stop to greet anyone and skillfully dodged the people he passed by. But Amber bumped into some people occasionally. She muttered an apology before chasing after the blurry figure of the cavalry captain.

Kaeya's boots came to a quick halt by the time he reached the gates of Mond. In the distance, he saw Soleil surrounded by a wide circle of Fatui warriors.

In front of her was a tall, young man with orange hair and clad in gray and white. A red scarf swished across his shoulders and hung behind and complemented the red mask adorning the left side of his head.

"I told you to come to Liyue, didn't I? Why must you make things harder and wait for me to pick you up?" the young man asked with a sigh.

"You never said 'when' I should go. Be more specific next time," Soleil shrugged. She got a scoff as a response.