50: The Light in the Shadows

"What the heck have you been doing for you not to know that he's gone?!"

Soleil's shock was replaced by irritation and her nerves twitched.

"Don't you go around raising your voice at me, Tartaglia," she stated coldly, "What were you doing? He was in your care not too long ago, wasn't he? Why are you blaming me?"

"I was out on my own mission, Soleil! You promised to look after him while I'm gone!" Childe said angrily.

"Which is all the time, isn't it? How could you neglect your own brother and expect someone else to look after him all the time?!" Soleil shot back.

"It isn't just 'someone else'. I chose you because Teucer trusts you," Childe hissed as he glared down at Soleil.

"Yeah, but you don't. That's the only other reason you're blaming me, right? Where are the Fatui you signed to watch over him, huh? Why suspect me first when you've got a dozen more eyes on him?!" Soleil asked.

"Because you are the one he spends time the most and you're the one I relied on to look after him!" Childe said and scoffed, "But look where that got us now. Now that he's missing, you don't have an idea where he is at all!"

"I'm not his bloody babysitter! I have my own life and I'm not one of your subordinates, Tartaglia. You can't just order me around! Know your place and I'll stay in mine," Soleil glared at the Harbinger before her, "Own your mistakes this time and stop pinning the blame on me. Can't you see that I have my own problems to deal with?!"

"So Teucer isn't one of your concerns, I see," Childe hissed. "I never said that!" Soleil yelled.

"That's enough," Zhongli had to raise his voice to make the two turn to him, "Arguing won't resolve the problem. You won't be able to find the child if you continue to yell at each other here."

"Tsk," Childe gritted his teeth and looked away from Soleil. The girl huffed and crossed her arms.

"Where was Teucer last?" Zhongli asked. "He was sleeping in my room. We ate dinner together and I left before midnight due to a sudden assignment," Childe replied.

"Where were you at that time, Soleil?" Zhongli turned to the scholar next. "At the hot springs with the Traveller and rest," Soleil answered, "I stopped by his suite in the afternoon to send some books over for Teucer to read. He was still there, as far as I can remember."

Soleil glared at Childe. "What are you trying to say?" the Harbinger asked her menacingly.

"I said, that is enough," Zhongli said firmly and crossed his arms, "You must work together if you wish to find Teucer. You cannot afford to waste anymore time. Find him first, then settle your disputes if you still have any by then."

"Zhongli is right... He could be anywhere at this point. What if he's hurt?" Childe's brows creased in worry as he held his forehead.

Soleil, too, felt her heart twist at the idea of Teucer's whereabouts. Then, she remembered the flash of vision earlier.

Cold water rushed in her. What if they were... Soleil covered her mouth. It'd better be not.

"Then I take it you both have a truce?" Zhongli asked. Childe thinned his lips before looking at Soleil sternly, "My concern is my brother. You either help or stay out of my way."

"I'll only help because it's Teucer. I won't do it for you," Soleil said sharply. Zhongli sighed and turned to Yanfei.

"What about you, Miss Yanfei? Will you assist us in our current situation?" he asked. Soleil glanced at him.