77: The Belly of the Beast

You just missed your target, Soleil shook her head when she remembered how Childe was looking for Scaramouche-the same one that she came across in a shrine not many people were supposed to know of.

Off-grid, Soleil thought. What was Scaramouche planning with that Gnosis? Make himself a god somehow? What nonsense.

And if he was avoiding the Fatui, that meant the Tsaritsa did not order him to get the Gnosis. That was Signora's job.

Soleil snorted in amusement. He did not even bother telling Signora about snatching the Gnosis. That really meant he had other plans.

But Signora's death was another mystery to Soleil. She was last seen entering Tenshukaku to have a word with the Shogun... The next thing they know, she's dead.

She doubts the Shogun killed Signora. Even though it was a puppet, it was programmed to only focus on 'eternity'. Signora wouldn't do anything against that and use it to her advantage to manipulate the Shogun instead. The Shogun wouldn't act against her unless there was a breach in the agreement.

The last time they spoke, Signora said she was off to Inazuma and she left an urn of liquid fire to Soleil. That was a few months back when the Decree was still in effect.

Soleil's brows furrowed in thought. Signora's death was followed up with the abolishment of the Vision Hunt Decree. The Traveller had something to do with that, didn't he?

That would also mean he knew something about Signora's death.

What a turn of events, Soleil thought. Then, she smiled humorlessly. Signora is actually dead.

And Scaramouche is off to nowhere while a dangerous warfreak is chasing after him. Soleil made an amused giggle, then it turned into weak laughter.

"Haha... Hahahaha," she giggled and leaned against her chair, looking at her things with an amused smile. This world's going crazy.

Soleil summoned the urn of liquid fire. The magma within the glass bottle continued to glow dangerously red. Yet, it was never able to melt the glass holding it in.

"You poor thing. I told you your pride will get you killed someday," Soleil mused and tilted her head, "Only someone greater than you could kill you, after all... Whatever did you do, I wonder?"

She shook the urn in hand, watching the magma swish and sway with a hypnotizing glow. Soleil's eyes dulled as she was pulled into her thoughts.

It seems a lot has happened while she was busy these past few months. She needs some catching up to do.

"You've got some explaining to do."

"Yah! Oh, oh, oh, oop-!" Soleil jolted in surprise and nearly dropped the urn on the floor. Her eyes were wide but she was able to catch the urn in her hands.

She sighed in relief. The last thing she wants is setting the hotel on fire. Then, she glared as she placed the urn on the table.

"How about you explain what you're doing in my room in the middle of the night?" she asked irritatingly and flipped her hands as she turned, "Imagine the scandal. The scandal!"

She glared at the tall man before her, who was also glaring back at her with cyan blue eyes with an eye mask on his right. Aside from his blonde hair and star-pelted cape, he would have blended in with his black outfit.

"Oh, I can make better scandals than break-ins in the middle of the night," Dainsleif said sternly, "Take conspiring with the Abyss Order, for example."

What the hell, he's got the intel way too fast, Soleil thought in disbelief. Then, she snorted while smoothing out the coat on her table.

"Please. Don't act like it's the first time we've had this conversation," Soleil said.