32: Storms of Wind, Fire, and Lightning

Soleil stared at Ven–Barbatos' statue while awkwardly climbed up the winding staircases. The closer she got to the cathedral, the more she felt disturbed.

She stopped in front of the doors and looked on with a conflicted stare. She liked Venti as a person. But when she stood in front of his church, she couldn't help but feel like a trespasser and a guilty sinner.

She never stepped into the Church of Favonius before nor did she want to. Like she said before, she wasn't an avid fan of the Archons.

But even so, she still went. It's not like Venti cares much anyway.

She took a deep breath and walked in. Her footsteps echoed within the halls as she literally walked down the aisle and marvelled at the architecture.

Wide corridors and fractal skylights let the sunlight in through seven different colors. A few nuns whispered prayers and Soleil did her best not to disturb them.

"Psst! Soleil!" a hushed voice called the scholar. She turned when she felt someone tap her and saw the blonde deaconess smiling at her.

"Oh. Hello, Barbara," Soleil smiled politely. "I'm glad you remembered me," Barbara giggled.

"You leave an impression that is hard to forget. So, were you able to catch Venti?" Soleil asked. She knew the answer but still asked anyway.

"No. He was really agile! It's like the wind favored him and let him escape," Barbara huffed.

"Don't worry. You'll get another opportunity. Just wait for him to stumble out of a tavern at night," Soleil winked.

"That's what bards do," Barbara shrugged, making the two of them laugh lightly. If only the precious deaconess knew she was slandering the Archon inside the church itself...

"So, I'm guessing that you're here for the reports on Kaeya's behalf?" Barbara asked. "That's right," Soleil nodded.

"Okay. Come with me," Barbara said as she led the way across the wide cathedral, "I expected Kaeya to visit yesterday since that was the assigned deadline. But he never came. He must have been busy."

Soleil laughed sheepishly. "That's why I came today. I hope it didn't cause you any troubles," she said.

"Oh, not at all," Barbara shook her head, her short twin tails swaying along. "That's a relief," Soleil sighed.

"But I'm surprised Kaeya let you do this," Barbara said and turned to a corner. "What do you mean?" Soleil asked as she followed.

"Well, you're under custody but you're here doing Kaeya's job," Barbara replied, "Ah, but please don't get me wrong! I'm only concerned since you aren't obliged to work."

"Please, it's just an errand. There's nothing to worry about," Soleil assured with a smile. "If you say so. Please wait here," Barbara told her before entering the office.

Soleil waited for Barbara just as she was told. It wasn't even a minute before the deaconess returned and handed over some papers to Soleil, "Here you go. Please make sure it gets to Jean."

"I will," Soleil nodded and hid the reports under her coat. She returned her gaze to Barbara and hesitated for a bit.

"Hm? Is something wrong?" the deaconess asked when she noticed Soleil's look.

"Kind of. There is something I need help with," Soleil said with a wry smile.

The two of them sat down inside a room. When Barbara removed Soleil's coat, she gasped. "Y-You have a bruise!" she said.

"I kind of guessed that," Soleil responded, helping Barbara remove her coat.

"No. This bruise looks really bad! Your entire back is swollen. If you left this alone any longer, it would have gotten worse," Barbara said with a worried look.