63: Where The Gods' Gaze Does Not Fall

The rustles of leaves in the wind and forceful slams of wood on wood. Dirt sprayed with each rapid step and spin, and either of them had to defend or attack.

"Hyah! Hah!"

Soleil spun the wooden staff and tried to swipe at the unguarded side of Childe's stomach. Childe immediately dug his own wooden staff beside him, feeling it vibrate with the harsh swipe of the pole but successfully blocking it.

He countered the attack by kicking his staff up, crossing Soleil's with his and directing it away. Soleil nearly lost grip but used the momentum to twirl her staff mid-air before grabbing it again and slamming down.

Childe barely raised his staff in time. He grunted with the force that forced him down to one knee. He looked up and smirked at Soleil through their clashing weapons.

"You almost got me there," he said and got up from his knee, "But that's not enough to beat me!"

He forced his staff up, pushing Soleil back with overpowered strength. Soleil stumbled but immediately regained footing, raising and blocking Childe's next set of attacks.

Soleil's hands were beginning to hurt with the vibration of her staff each time it clashed against Childe's slams and swipes. He attempted to jab the tip of his staff against her stomach, which could potentially leave a bruise.

This man isn't even holding back, Soleil thought. She rolled to the side and extended her pole sidewards, meeting the jabbing staff.

She grasped her staff and held it against her side when Childe attacked again. She blocked it but winced when her hands ached at the force.

Childe noticed this and kicked her staff away when her grip loosened. Soleil's eyes widened. She was about to move away when Childe tipped his staff against her neck.

"You lost," he said. Soleil was breathing heavily but she just snorted, "You let your guard down."

Childe was confused until Soleil grabbed the staff and used a foot to swipe his legs. The Harbinger grunted in pain as he collapsed to the ground and felt someone on top of him.

Soleil press the staff horizontally against his neck, using her legs to hold down his arms. He winced as the sunlight hit his eyes directly, but he could make out Soleil's smirk.

"That is how you subdue an enemy completely," she said. Childe stopped struggling and chuckled, "Fine, I yield. Well played. Still, you wouldn't win if I didn't attempt to end the spar traditionally."

"Yeah, well, unlucky you. Not everyone plans on accepting defeat easily," Soleil said and got up. Childe rubbed his Adam's Apple, where the staff had been pressing down on.

"I'm impressed. You're making quick progress," he said as he got up and dusted the dirt from his clothes.

"I'm a fast learner," Soleil shrugged and buried the staff in hand into the ground, "Aside from you, there was only one other person who might have done well as a teacher."

"Curious. But I won't ask," Childe said, "Our fruitful spar has put me into a good mood. Since you've done well, I suppose you deserve to get an early dismissal."

"Oh, good. My hands are all red from that spar," Soleil looked at her aching hands. She flexed it open and close before getting her cloak from a chair.

"You'll get used to it," Childe said. "Hopefully. I'm leaving now," Soleil said and noticed the nearby recruits, who were watching their spar in awe.

Soleil smiled at them when she passed by, making a few recruits flustered behind their masks and scratch their heads. Childe noticed this and gave an irritated look.