39: The Wine Industry Slayers

Cats.

Everything was about cats.

Wherever Soleil looked, she would find one of those adorable fluff balls crawling around the tables or on the laps of the patrons. Meows, furballs, and drinks were everywhere.

But it wasn't too much of a surprise since cats are supposed to be the trademark of the Cat's Tail.

"What a fine commercial strategy," Soleil mused as she sat on one of the stools. What serves best to grab the people's attention if not something cute and fluffy like a cat?

She nearly yelped when a little kitten popped out of the counter and blinked its cute and sparkling eyes. It let out a cute mew before trotting on its tiny paws.

Soleil giggled and scratched a finger near its ears. She liked dogs, but she can't deny that kittens were also equally adorable.

It's when they grow up to be sassy cats when they become a nuisance to her. There was one time a cat slammed a jar of Jueyun chili peppers in Soleil's dessert and she swore not to let grown-up cats go near her again.

"Oh! It seems we have a new customer," a brunette dressed in pink and a black hat approached Soleil. "Hi," Soleil smiled.

"Well, I'm definitely sure I know about you. You're Soleil, right? I'm Margaret, the boss of the Cat's Tail," the girl introduced herself.

"It's nice to meet you, Margaret," Soleil replied. "My! Now that I see you up close, I can sense the smart aura coming from you," Margaret commented, "What to expect from a scholar, I suppose."

"You're not too bland either, Margaret. For a tavern owner, you make an interesting person to talk to. You also dress better than the common businessmen," Soleil said jokingly, making Margaret laugh.

"I can tell why the rumors run around you so much. You're a really charming thing, aren't you?" Margaret giggled. Soleil smiled nervously, "Yeah... Which rumors, exactly?"

The one with Kaeya or the one with Diluc? Soleil thought amusingly. That makes her sound like a shrewd player.

"About you and captain Kaeya, of course! While the men are too drunk to care about anything, all the ladies could see it. The tension between you two is so thick, you would need Wagner to pound his way through with a hammer," Margaret smirked lightly, "So, did anything juicy happen yet?"

"I'm guessing Sara put you up to this," Soleil smiled wryly. That woman is really intent on insisting the relationship between her and Kaeya.

"She's not wrong, though," Margaret shrugged, "But if you were anything like Kaeya, you would be more inclined to visit Angel's Share. What brings you here?"

"I'm here to speak with your bartender. I think the name was Diona," Soleil answered.

"Oh! Kaeya did visit a while ago and said he will need Diona for something. It must be for you," Margaret smiled suggestively.

"Kaeya can be a gentleman when he wants to. It's not surprising," Soleil shrugged.

"Suurrreee," Margaret squinted her eyes at the scholar, "I'll get Diona for you. Get yourself a drink in the meantime. It's on the house."

"How generous. If you offered, then I would be too rude to decline," Soleil beamed and took one of the most expensive fruit cocktails. Margaret chortled before walking off.

Soleil showered a nearby kitten with tickles while giggling.

"So fluffy and adorable! Don't ever grow up, okay?" she cooed while the kitten rubbed itself against Soleil's warm hand.