Part Seventeen

33: A Reason To Be Wary

"One, two, three, one, two, three, one, two, turn and wave. Good."

The shamisen music accompanied the dance of practicing shrine maidens, fairly young and inexperienced. Miko was instructing them with counting, though she paused every now and then to have a bite of the fried tofu in her bowl.

"You. Right there. Try not to be so stiff. Your bones are made of flesh and bone-not wood," she said to a shrine maiden by the side formation while munching.

"S-Sorry, Lady Guuji!" the shrine maiden blushed in embarrassment as she bowed hastily.

"Ah, ah. Music is still playing. Is bowing part of the dance steps?" Miko asked amusingly. "N-No! Sorry, Lady Guuji," the shrine maiden blushed harder.

"Hmph," Miko had a blank look, but her eyes twinkled with mischief. She placed her chopsticks down with unintended grace as she drank a cup of sake.

"They're wonderful, little dancers, aren't they?" she said, "I am thoroughly glad Kano Nana has selected competent girls to practice ceremony. It makes my job a whole lot easier."

"I'm sure that happiness of yours would be doubled if you actually contributed to their performance," Soleil snorted, "Though, I won't be surprised if you're happy because you have new faces to tease."

She got off the post she was leaning on to approach the stairs of the shrine, where the Guuji decided to sit and enjoy her food. As always, Narukami Shrine was serene and full of grace. But the sakura petals seemed to dance more joyously when accompanied by dance and the shamisen.

"Hehe. How assuming of you," Miko giggled delightedly. Soleil stared at her. She always found it disturbing to find the kitsune in a good mood.

Miko smiled in content as she looked at the dancing maidens as they changed formation, making a flower formation whose petals twirled clockwise.

"I am reminded suddenly of when you were relatively younger. You danced to the same song and you were clumsy with that fan of yours," Miko mused.

"I remember. It was a sudden rehearsal for a ritual to be performed the next day," Soleil snorted.

"And you did exceptionally well," Miko's eyes glimmered, "I was always curious how deep runs the well of your talent."

"So you try to run it dry," Soleil said wryly. "Hehe," Miko giggled in response, "With that said, why don't you spare us a minute or two for a performance? It's been a long while since you've danced to the Narukami cleansing rites."

"I'd rather not," Soleil said. "Oh? Don't tell me you've forgotten the dance. You used to perform so well to the point the Shogunate would request a ritual for any event," Miko mused.

"I did, unfortunately. My skills have rusted and I don't plan to embarrass myself," Soleil said. Miko clicked her tongue in dismay.

"My, my. You disgrace your teacher. It burdens my heart to hear you have forgotten the lessons I imparted to you so graciously," she harrumphed, turning her nose away.

"Sure," Soleil snorted, watching Miko in slight amusement. "Hmph!" the kitsune gave her a pointed look before she ate her tofu again.

Foxy's upset, Soleil wanted to giggle. But in the back of her mind, she could see Miko among the sakura trees that were younger than they were today.

"I see you wanted to dance with a fan. Although the conventional accessory would have been a gohei... This is an interesting turn. I like it."

Miko has always been a fan of the unusual and unique. Outlandish thoughts and those of controversy would merely be a form of entertainment when wars would be waged by man upon such ideas. That must be the difference between yokai and man.