36: The Chalk Prince's Interests

Soleil shivered as she struggled to make one more step in the snow. "Ugh... I can never get used to this," she muttered, pulling her coat tighter around her waist.

Kaeya walked beside her, giving her an amused look. "What's wrong?" he asked, "Can't handle the cold?"

"Of course not," Soleil pouted, struggling to waddle through the snow, "This place is too cruel to be your ideal winterland."

"Didn't you say you've been here before?" Kaeya asked. The two of them were on the snowy paths leading into Dragonspine and so far, only Kaeya was faring well. Soleil? Not so much.

"I was prepared by then. Do my clothes look the ideal attire in this climate?" Soleil angrily pointed at her clothes. It was her usual lab coat and bodysuit and it really looked suicidal to wear it in the cold.

"If you told me you were taking me to Dragonspine, things would be different. But no, you just asked me to follow you and now I'm starting to freeze," Soleil grumbled. She sighed, "I should have at least brought a seelie lantern with me..."

"A seelie lantern? You put seelies in a lantern?" Kaeya asked with intrigue. "The warming seelies," Soleil nodded.

Kaeya laughed lightly. "I didn't know you were so cruel. Seelies are still living creatures, you know?" he said, still chuckling.

"They always run off! What am I supposed to do?" Soleil huffed, "It's better than just extracting their warmth and letting them die afterwards. Besides, I release the seelie after I'm done using it since it's senseless to keep it. I'm not that cruel."

"Perhaps. But you're still cruel," Kaeya mused. "And I'm about to freeze," Soleil breathed into her palms, "Now will you tell me what we're doing here?"

"You'll know eventually. Come on," Kaeya said and walked ahead. Soleil glared and followed after, "How come he doesn't get cold? Hmph, and to think he's the one with an exposed chest..."

They continued venturing deeper until Soleil's shaky breaths became more obvious. Kaeya noticed the struggling girl and stopped in his tracks, waiting for Soleil to catch up.

"This is...really unfair," Soleil panted, making small clouds with her breaths. "Oh? Which is?" Kaeya asked, smiling playfully.

"All...of this! I'm basically left for dead and you're...just smiling while I suffer. You're a...mean person," Soleil said, resting her hands on her knees while shaking her head, "Really, really mean person...Ha..."

She continued mumbling some things about Kaeya, who sighed. He approached Soleil and removed his fur cape, placing it around Soleil's shoulders.

"There. You should feel warmer now," he said while fixing the cape. He dusted away the snowflakes on Soleil's head and adjusted her coat's collar to cover her better.

"Hmph. Because of you, I'll turn into a human popsicle," Soleil pouted. Kaeya laughed lightly.

"Hahahaha. You as a popsicle?" he smirked, raising her chin, "What would you taste like, I wonder?"

"Absurd. Now shoo," Soleil swatted his hand away. Whether it was from the cold or Kaeya's comment, Soleil's cheeks were pinker and felt warmer.

"Alright, alright," Kaeya raised his hands in surrender while chuckling, "We're not far from our destination. Try to keep up or I'll be forced to carry you."

"Wouldn't that be convenient for you? After all, you gave me your cape so you should be feeling a little cold," Soleil smiled teasingly, "Maybe sharing some body warmth with you will help ease the cold."