60: Impasse Upon Rising Tides

Soleil was right to trust her gut feeling. Just as she returned from a trip, a Millelith soldier sought for her carrying a grave message.

"Lady Ningguang requires your presence immediately."

Ningguang never needed to rush anything since she always had things planned out. But that one line spoke a thousand implications Ningguang and Soleil could understand about each other.

There was trouble once more and Ningguang can't handle it on her own.

"Can't a scholar take a break?" Soleil sighed as soon as she walked into the floating pagoda's main office, "Scholars are only meant to leaf through books and diss each other's theories."

"I apologize for dragging you into this, Soleil. But so far, you're one of the few people I can trust," Ningguang said with creased eyebrows.

"Took you a while!" Beidou said. She was also inside the office and was fanning away the smoke going to her. She looked annoyed.

"Beidou," Soleil greeted. "Can you do something about Ningguang? All the smoke is going to my eye," Beidou complained.

Soleil took Ningguang's fan from the table and handed it to Beidou, who looked at it. She then shrugged and fanned herself, "That's better."

Ningguang looked displeased. "Soleil, why would you give my possession to Beidou?" she asked, "You know how much my items are worth on the market."

"Like I could sell anything you can't," Beidou said. "Let's not bicker first, ladies. Why are we gathered here?" Soleil asked.

"Beidou just arrived an hour ago, bearing quite the troublesome news," Ningguang answered and looked at the captain.

"Remember that time we went to Guyun?" Beidou asked. Soleil nodded, "We both sensed something in the waters."

"All the more you should know what this is about," Beidou got serious and crossed her arms, "That heavy aura I told you about belonged to an ancient god underwater, like suspected."

"Is it really?" Soleil asked. "I checked it myself. I once slew a sea monster myself so I would know how their auras feel," Beidou replied, "There's a sea god that just awoke from the deep."

"It can't be Osial, can it?" Soleil asked. "No. They are similar, but it isn't Osial," Beidou said, "Ever heard of Beisht?"

"...Osial's spouse and remaining follower. I saw her name once on a manuscript," Soleil answered grimly.

"That's the one," Beidou said. "How?" Soleil asked. Ningguang and Beidou shared a look.

"I'm sure you've heard of Osial's reawakening. Since Osial was destroyed by the Jade Chamber, as the spouse, Beisht has developed strong aversion towards Liyue Harbor. With her lurking close to surface waters, it is a strong possibility that she will attempt to exact revenge for her husband by destroying the harbor," Ningguang stated.

"We need to stop that from happening. I'm all good with open fire, but the harbor's safety must be prioritized," Beidou said and held her chin, "We don't exactly have right equipment to face Beisht underwater."

"How close is she to the harbor?" Soleil asked. "Not close, but she's waiting in the deep. I don't know what she is waiting for, but I am not going to wait to find out," Beidou said.

"I have an idea what it might be," Ningguang placed her hands together and squinted her eyes in thought.

"What is it?" Beidou asked. Ningguang turned to Soleil, "How fast can the Chamber be built?"

"What?" Beidou was surprised. "Three months tops. That is if we have all the necessary equipment by the end of the eleventh month," Soleil answered, "I've listed all the materials needed and where you can find them. Construction can begin this weekend."