65(Ludi Harpastum): Acting Grand Parents

"Isn't this a little too elementary?"

Soleil had a skeptical look while watching Kaeya crack an egg on the pan.

"Mastering the basics are essential. Though geniuses like you don't need them, it doesn't hurt to learn on a beginner's level especially if it involves cooking. You don't want to eat anything suspicious, do you?" Kaeya gave her a playful smile.

"Of course not," Soleil said. Kaeya adjusted the fire before placing the pan on top. Soleil watched from the side while leaning against the wall.

While the Knights of Favonius would be most active during festivals like the Ludi Harpastum and Windblume, the people have convinced them to take a break for once while the citizens began to volunteer as street patrols and guards.

All of the knights–especially Jean–have been too busy and active in helping out villagers of Springvale and rebuilding the village.

The destruction had brought down the morale of the people so the Ludi Harpastum became their way of recuperating. The citizens of Mondstadt had then been eager to help out the village and the knights. If it weren't for them, more chaos would have ensued.

At least, that's how the story goes. The real events have been kept a secret among limited individuals including a bard, a scholar, and a traveller.

But it doesn't matter even if no one knows of Soleil's efforts. She finds it a nice reward when Kaeya took the break and decided to spend more time with her. What way to start it all off in the kitchen?

Before leaving, Soleil wished to master a few Mondstadtian dishes as a token of remembrance and asked Kaeya to help her out. However, she should have expected something bizarre when she asked the man.

"You've been staring for some time already," Kaeya side-glanced at Soleil. He smirked, "See something you like?"

"You can say that," Soleil replied with a cat smile.

Apart from being too lazy to cook an egg, she had been checking Kaeya out shamelessly. Seeing him in something else other than his uniform and sleeping clothes was a cute surprise to Soleil.

She can't help but giggle when he came down with an apron and folded sleeves. He still has that knack for leaving his buttons undone and wearing fit slacks, but it was a little more homely.

"That's good. It really feels I'm finally off-duty. And this time, no knight will come knocking on the door," Kaeya said with a knowing smile.

"Don't get distracted now," Soleil pointed at the pan. Kaeya followed her gaze and saw the fire was dying. He adjusted the flames again and blew at the fire.

"Will you help out or not?" Kaeya asked but all Soleil gave him was a blank stare.

"I will only help when we start the actual cooking," she said. "But I am cooking," Kaeya replied when he pointed at the pan in front of him.

"A Teyvat Fried Egg is too simple! Almost everybody can cook one. You just crack an egg, put in on the pan with some oil, wait for it to cook, and put it on a plate. How is that hard?" Soleil pouted angrily.

"A Teyvat Fried Egg is still a dish worth cooking. It may be simple, but it's very important. Go ask the Traveller himself. He keeps stocking up on fried eggs whenever he goes out. Where does he hide them all, though?" Kaeya mused curiously.

"Right? He always does something weird. He would rather climb up the walls and glide instead of using the stairs and roads," Soleil said with a baffled expression. Stocking up on fried eggs shouldn't be a surprise anymore.