52: I'm Only Human

"I heard she topped the exams again last week."

"Yeah, but at what cost? People said she blackmailed the teachers to give an easier test or something."

"S-She has her own set of laboratories?! How?!"

"Tch, how else? I heard she's working for Fatui. All that money probably came from the families they extorted..."

"Oh, Soleil Rheingold? Uh... It's best if you keep your distance from her. She might be really smart...but she has no care whatsoever for the methods she uses."

"Soleil oversaw a project design for an irrigation system. The board didn't approve at first, but I don't know what nasty things she did to get them to suck up to her later on."

"Her researches are drastic! She... She wouldn't stop at nothing just to get what she wants. She even asked the help of the Fatui when the Academia wouldn't sponsor her outlandish works!"

"She's a cold girl... Had a few people admiring her but she just goads them on with that flirty smile of hers. She disgusts me."

"Just stay away from her. It's no good trying to associate with her."

Though she was just passing, words and murmurs could easily float to her ears when she walks down the corridors of the academy.

They were laced with fear and aversion, but none would dare step up to her because that's what gossipers and backstabbers do. They were too afraid to incur the wrath of the powerhouses backing up for Soleil at that time.

They felt threatened because she was a young girl who already had much intellect and status. Teachers praise her, authority applauds her achievements, but when she was just being an ordinary girl, only a handful of people would stay with her to talk about things outside her status as a scholar.

The City of Scholars only respect knowledge and Soleil had that. But when she wasn't being the center of the spotlight, not many would bother talking to her. They keep their distance because they had no use for her or because they felt too scared to approach her.

Right... People only need to speak to her when they need something from her. Soleil appreciated the straightforwardness now, but back when she was still too young... She wanted appreciation. She wanted attention and care.

She thought that if she pushed herself harder to produce better results, she would be valued. But that wasn't that happened. She gave her all but instead of being reciprocated, she was drained until she had nothing left to give.

"This isn't enough. I want you to reach better results but how can you do that if you keep wasting your time with those Twilight knights?"

"They only wanted to give me some sweets... Why are you mad?"

"I'm not mad. I'm just disappointed."

"..."

"You are someone with great intellect and talent. If we are to work together, I need you to keep a steady head on your shoulders. Can you do that for me?"

"Of course."

"Good. We'll review over the anatomy of a plant. By the end of the day, I expect you to recreate photosynthesis and how the plant converts air into breathable one."

Soleil smiled ironically. She was seen for her worth, alright. But that was just it. Once its gone... What then?

She heard light footsteps approaching, making ground make the slightest thud under her palm. Still, she just let her legs swing back and forth in the clear waters.