Part Eight

15: The Case of a Drunken Stowaway

Paimon squinted her eyes in suspicion. Soleil had a harmless eye smile as response.

Aether watched them both do this for the past five minutes, none of them moving. He twisted his lips problematically. Should he do something?

That was when Paimon made a kitten-like growl and balled her tiny fists. "Grrr..." she said and angrily pointed at Soleil, "How is it that we're always running into each other in the middle of nowhere?!"

The scholar giggled lightly. "I don't see the problem in that," she said.

"Of course, you don't! We're meeting so often, we don't have to greet each other anymore!" Paimon replied, puffing her cheeks.

"Shhh! Paimon, it's four in the morning, for crying out loud. You're going to wake people up!" Aether whisper-shouted as he frowned at Paimon.

Paimon flinched and squeaked out a whisper. "Sorry," she said. Soleil smiled amusingly.

"I did tell you we will see each other again. Considering we both travel the continent, it's guaranteed we are to run into each other every now and then. Get used to it," Soleil smirked teasingly at Paimon.

"Hmph!" Paimon raised her chin. "So," Soleil looked at Aether, "I'm guessing you've heard about the incoming festival."

"We did. Miko filed a commission for us. We'll be serving as tour guides for the guests. The boat from Mondstadt should arrive in a few hours, actually," Aether explained. Soleil blinked in realization.

"I see. She must have filed the commission while I was out cold..." Soleil muttered the last part to herself. It seems Albedo's guess was spot-on. She really did run into the Traveller.

"What about you?" Aether asked. "I'm also helping out with preparations. Right now, I'm supposed to look over security details with Kujou Sara," Soleil said.

"Security?" Paimon looked at her skeptically, "Paimon never expected you to be in-charge of preparations, but even security? You're taking a lot of odd jobs, too, huh?"

"Don't judge me now. I know this is beyond a scholar's field of work. But let's just say, I got blackmailed into helping out," Soleil replied with a wry smile.

"Woah. Who would be able to do such a thing?" Paimon looked more impressed than concerned. Aether squinted his eyes, "I have a few people in mind."

"Chances are, one of them is the right answer," Soleil waved a hand and turned, "As much as I'd like to join you greet the guests, I have places to be. I'll just see you in a bit."

Paimon and Aether watched as Soleil left Ritou. "What kind of security check is Soleil doing for it to be done so early in the morning?" Paimon asked in confusion.

Although Miko didn't ask for Soleil's assistance anymore, she was still needed elsewhere. She chose to help out Sara's unit in clearing out any potential threats surrounding Ritou.

Just before she left a few hours after midnight, she ran into Ayato. The Yashiro Commissioner himself has been busy from dusk until dawn, only having finished a meeting with Miko at the Publishing House.

Soleil didn't have to join in, but she still found it strange for those two to meet up during the dark hours.

Soleil's lips suddenly curled amusingly and conspiratorially. Were those two actually having an affair?

"Hehehe," Soleil giggled to herself and skipped down the path, "This would fit so well in a novel. I have to write it down!"

The forbidden romance between a kitsune and a human. Who wouldn't indulge in a love story concerning the beautiful and the supernatural?