Part Fourteen

27: The Dark Truth Behind Visions

Soleil was silent. But eventually, a sad smile touched her lips, "So that's how it was. I remember it now, too."

It was a momentary glimpse after the verdict was pronounced by the divine. The world witnessed the Musou no Hitotachi and the broken blade that fell before Kujou Sara in battle finally gave in to defeat.

Its master had also perished to the strike of violet, but Soleil could faintly remember the streaks of red and white amidst the gray scene, who would then take the dead Vision and flee once more just as he arrived.

It was momentary, but it stuck to Soleil's mind. The helplessness, the despair, and the bitterness of losing a dear one to a situation he could do nothing about... She could see them all in the ruby eyes of one who arrived too late.

Perhaps the quickness of the Musou no Hitotachi was also a cruel way to spare Kazuha of anymore grief. Had he watched his dear friend turn into ashes right before his eyes... What would it have done to Kazuha? What memories would haunt him to this day?

He lost his friend all because of Visions... It was such a tragic and such a stupid reason to die for.

Soleil could see Kazuha has come to terms with such death. To Soleil, no one was at fault–The Raiden Shogun naturally was not to be blamed.

That nameless samurai who challenged the decree desired to test his limits. Soleil felt pity for him. He fought against a dozen or more before finally collapsing against Kujou Sara. But finally seeing the extent of the divine power for himself... Surely, he had no regrets even when he was at odds from the very beginning.

Kazuha thought of this, too, so he must not grieve even when he misses him dearly. However, just because he healed did not mean it no longer hurt.

Soleil never saw Kazuha again after that incident. After overseeing the duel that threatened to end the Vision Hunt Decree, she left Kujou Sara to oversee the agreement between her and the Shogun and returned to Sumeru. At this same time period, Kazuha was a wanted man under the Decree.

Only once the storm passed were they finally able to meet once more, in the same land that once became a dark place for the both of them.

Kazuha smiled. "I never expected you would take such a prominent job such as being a shrine maiden," he said.

"It was something I did when I was younger. But I eventually stopped. It was getting suffocating and anticlimactic, given that Yae Miko was my superior," Soleil said.

"I understand," Kazuha said. Silence befell them and gave chance for memories and thoughts to swim, and awkwardness began to filter in.

Soleil hesitated before approaching Kazuha. She patted his shoulder and smiled wryly, "I'm sorry it happened. It must have taken a toll on you heavily."

"There is no wound that cannot heal. But thank you," Kazuha smiled. Soleil nodded and stepped back.

"I have to get rid of these paper talismans properly. Although purified, they may still turn out to be a problem should a fluctuation of remaining energy get out," Soleil said.

"Alright," Kazuha said. "Since we're done here, you're free to leave. There's no need to wait for me to finish," Soleil told him.

"I wouldn't dare leave so abruptly. Where would my manners be?" Kazuha chuckled lightly, "But I suppose I can look around Hanamizaka to pass time."

"Alright. Catch you later, then," Soleil smiled and walked off, finding an appropriate spot to dispose of the blank talismans.

Kazuha then walked into Hanamizaka, watching as the people go about their peaceful routines untouched by perils that once came to be.