Part Twenty-Three

45: A Puppet's Desire

How long has it been since he began playing charades with these blasphemous fools? One year? Two decades? One hundred years? He couldn't tell. Back when he was still 'Scaramouche', time was irrelevant when going back and forth between the Abyss and the surface world.

It was monotonous. He almost felt disappointed. The Doctor promised he would feel a little 'better' once he joined the Fatui and agreed to his experiments but... It's all been some bothersome chores. Descend to the Abyss, collect some data, go back to report, then repeat.

Out of everyone in the Fatui, he was the least prone to the corrosion of the Abyss. Which means to say he was an inexpendable asset of Dottore. He was...inhuman, after all.

Patience was running thin and he wanted to keep himself entertained. But it took him all his self-restraint not to blow any of the campsites. Despite the annoyances of those insignificant humans, they made the most interesting faces when faced with danger posed by the divine-by the likes of him.

The terror. The fear. The helplessness... He was amused. It's funny how the human face can create thousands and thousands of reactions.

Watching the Fatui under his command squirm in his mere presence, Scaramouche couldn't help but chuckle: half-amused and half-mocking. Was this how Beelzebul felt when seeing the faces of those humans and monsters before killing them? Not bad. He's gotta hand it to her-It felt rather nice.

But the reason for his twisted sense of happiness and contentment was beyond his control at the time. Dottore...that vile but clever schemer...was able to manipulate Scaramouche by the heart he implanted into his chest.

Initially, he was just a puppet reaching for a peaceful dream. But the world wasn't kind, and he was left to fend for himself...all by himself.

Scaramouche watched emotionlessly as the dark embers flickered like floating wisps, and he looked at the dark 'skies'.

Whether it was the surface world or in the dark Abyss, he was always alone because only he had the chance and skill to survive. The weak never had a place to stand behind him. But then again, everyone else was weaker than him. Won't it be wise, then, to assume he would be alone to survive against the odds of the world?

"So there you are. I've been looking all over for you."

That voice...

Scaramouche turned, and his initially curious gaze fell flat upon seeing the girl standing behind him. Her eyes were a glowing contrast in the dark and corrupted environment.

"...You must have a death wish. Only a foolish human would step into the Abyss to meet their end. But be my guest. That will make my life a little easier," Scaramouche snorted callously while he placed a hand on his hips.

"On the contrary, it won't. Won't it be more troublesome if you are constantly interrogated about my whereabouts and how I died?" The girl asked with a smile.

"Hmph. What makes you think I'll even entertain such questions?" Scaramouche asked.

The girl giggled, "The fact that you just entertained mine says plenty. It'll be more troublesome if I died under your care, my lord."

"You..." Scaramouche's eyes narrowed. He turned away sharply and with a frustrated grumble. Why must it be his turn so soon?

He's been acquainted with that girl, Soleil Rheingold, a longer while before. She was younger back then and often pestered him before being the actress she was now. Time flies.

He's seen her run errands for Dottore, Pantalone, and Signora, and she always had a different disposition depending on which Harbinger she was 'interning' for. But out of all of them, it was Dottore who had the most fun making use of her abilities.