30: Privilege and Secrets

A yawn tried to escape Soleil's lips out of boredom. But she knew letting it out would be quite disrespectful where she is now.

Hu Tao was holding a ceremony to mark a funeral along with the undertakers. Since she was usually lively, it was a sight to see Hu Tao being professional and serious with her work.

Soleil came by to talk with Zhongli, but even he was busy with the funeral. He sat by the consultants and the scholar was left in the company of the nameless, black diary.

Soleil leaned against the wall inside the parlor, hiding in the shades as she listened to the elegies of the family members of the deceased.

She made a small wave when she caught Zhongli's eye. The man smiled faintly and nodded in greeting before looking back at Hu Tao to assist.

"Here you are," Chongyun said with a firm frown when he saw the scholar near Wangsheng, "Hiding won't do you any–"

"Shh," Soleil raised a finger to her lips with a scolding pout. A few people also gave the exorcist silent frowns and stares.

Chongyun looked into the parlor and flinched in realization. "Sorry. I'm so sorry," he whispered and bowed with his hands pressed above his head.

Soleil smiled amusingly at the flustered boy, getting a frown from Chongyun.

"Sly," he mumbled. "That's my middle name," Soleil said and gestured with a hand, "Let's leave the parlor. We're going to attract attention at this point."

Most of the people were seated in rows and were dressed in black. Soleil and Chongyun stood out due to their light clothing aside from the fact that they were not invited.

"Come on," Soleil whispered and walked out. Chongyun looked at her with a wary pout before following the girl out.

Soleil leaned by the red pillars in the portico while Chongyun scooted to hide from the sunlight. Soleil noticed his predicament and gestured.

"The shades are cooler. Come closer," she said. Chongyun hesitated before complying.

"Just because you act nice doesn't mean you'll win me over," he stated firmly, "I'll get you later once there are no more witnesses."

"Oh, how scary," Soleil mused. She focused her attention back at her diary, trying to catch ideas on how to decode the ancient language.

Chongyun was confused. What was Soleil doing in the parlor during a funeral anyway? There's not much to do.

He froze. Was she here to take the souls of the deceased before they can cross into the afterlife?!

Chongyun whipped his head towards Soleil, who calmly looked through the fickle pages. That black notebook must be her evil grimoire. What a scheming woman.

"You're getting red, Chongyun," Soleil said and glanced at the boy, "Shouldn't you eat some popsicles?"

Chongyun blinked in shock. "My popsicles!" he said and patted his pockets to find his dessert. He took one out and munched on it, feeling his body calm and cool.

He sighed in relief while Soleil tilted her head.

"Xingqiu said that your body is consisted of an abnormal amount of yang," Soleil said. Chongyun nodded.

"My parents said I was born with it. In our family, a person like me comes almost once every generation. Yang is an energy exorcists use to cleanse evil. But I have so much of it that my presence alone could wipe out a horde of evil spirits," Chongyun sighed, "That's why I haven't come across an evil spirit. They all get purged as soon as I step into the room."