6: The Dealer of the Seven Stars

"The mora distribution is unfair! How can we live just from receiving a uniformed salary and controlled sales?"

"Unfair? Everyone is receiving equal benefits and you still call that 'unfair'?! What is wrong with you?"

"Listen! I've spent my whole career working all hours of the day just to get where I am now and poured blood and sweat! To suddenly put all that aside and depriving my company of its rightful profits is an abuse and insult! How can you put me along with the rest of those street vendor merchants and tell me our equal salaries are enough?!"

"Right! Our group does its best to deliver quality goods and proper customer service and this is what we get! We deserve more!"

"Fools. How can you only think of profits at this time? We are trying to help each other yet you wish to put yourselves above the others! We're all on the same foot here, you know?"

"That's where you're wrong. I am where I am because I worked for it. The rest of you have your positions after doing some dirty work!"

"Ohoho! How sanctimonious of you. You think you're so clean?!"

"If I didn't know any better, I'd say you're being greedy with the mora! How can you ask for more when we have limited supply of mora!"

"Huh! Forget it. I can't be bothered with you, heathens. Lady Ningguang, please take this into mind. So many merchants are facing a backlash with the stasis. I beg you, please find another way! We, hardworking merchants, must be compensated accordingly for our work!"

"Please, Lady Ningguang! We're begging you. You must reconsider!"

It has only been thirty minutes since the meeting has begun yet things immediately became heated in the court of the new Jade Chamber.

The master of the chamber, Lady Ningguang, was seated among the higher ranks of the table alongside the present members of the Qixing. The Tianshu, Uncle Tian, was also there and he has been sighing at the verbal ruckus.

Ningguang, however, set her ruby eyes on the other invited businessmen and merchants around the table, listening to them bicker and throwing pretenses out the high windows. It seems she was waiting for a crack to surface for her to exploit.

"We can't just argue here like children and bring in actual reports! Lady Ningguang, I've sent you some reports on how our company is performing before and after the new laws were made. There is a noticeable difference in them and you can see that since the mora we receive was cut short, the staff has begun to quit in search of other jobs and the products of our chefs have admittedly dropped," a merchant from the culinary department spoke.

"Indeed, I had my secretaries read your report," Ningguang nodded calmly, "What of it?"

"L-Lady Ningguang, please," the merchant was taken aback with her demeanor before sighing helplessly, "The mora we receive monthly and sharing it among all workers and budgets for the future is not enough. I fear we may go bankrupt if this continues."

"That is because you lack the ability to dedicate and think ahead. Have you begun an investment or reached out to a few companies that may serve as your partners in your line of work?" Ningguang inquired sharply.

"I–"

"Thought so," Ningguang cut the merchant off. She sighed and leaned back on her cushioned chair, "I am not concerned with your personal affairs. I seek to evaluate Liyue by general performance of all business. Your concerns are not within my scope."

"Forgive my impudence, my lady, but you are obliged to," the merchant said through gritted teeth, "You have taken complete control over the businesses in Liyue. That includes my own company. This poor management is what will cause us our demise!"