56: History Almost Repeated Itself Part II

Lumine emerged from a spacial portal and ran over to her brother urgently. Her face was glossed with worry while she knelt down beside Aether.

"Oh, brother..." she said softly. She cupped the sleeping boy's face and touched their foreheads together warmly.

He was alright. He was safe. Lumine's anxious heartbeat calmed down and she was finally able to breathe. She closed her eyes in relief.

Then she opened them again to glare at the kneeling girl meters away from them. Lumine stood up and advanced towards Soleil, aiming to stab her back.

But Lumine's blade clashed with Aurora's barrel, the shrill sounds of metal screeching against each other echoing loudly. Soleil looked over her shoulder nonchalantly.

"You really are an opportunist, aren't you?"

"Shut up, you hypocrite," Lumine hissed as she pressed down, "What was that?! You nearly had my brother killed and for what? So you can make me question my own self?!"

"I warned you, didn't I? I told you it was going to hurt him and you disregarded it because you were sooo confident in him, weren't you?" Soleil shot back.

"You were the one who nearly killed him, Lumine. Don't put the blame on me."

She pushed away Lumine's sword, making her stumble back. Soleil weakly got up on her feet and turned to face Lumine.

"You should be thanking me, actually. Had you not been so selfish, maybe Aether didn't have to go through such an ordeal," Soleil said, "All you did was stand back and watch because you were so caught up in between and couldn't choose even after five hundred years passed."

"You don't know anything!" Lumine yelled and began to attack. Soleil said nothing as she met her swift strikes with precision.

Soleil was forced to step backwards with each of Lumine's fierce slashes and attacks. Lumine gathered Abyssal magic around her blade and slashed towards Soleil.

The corruptive energy shot out like snakes, only to be met by a wall that seems to be made out of the night sky.

Both forces of Abyssal magic faded like smoke, revealing the two girls facing one another.

Lumine pointed her blade at Soleil, her hands shaking out of anger. Soleil only looked at her calmly, which seemed to agitate Lumine even more.

"I hate that look on your face. That calm and uncaring look on your face... I hate it so much," Lumine said angrily. Her eyes begin to water.

"You look exactly just like that woman when she decided to rip my brother and I apart like it was nothing," she continued, her voice dropping to a whisper, "I hate it that you remind me of that unknown god... The looks on your faces are almost too identical."

That's when a crack appeared on Soleil's apathetic face. Her brows furrowed and she returned the glare to Lumine.

She disappeared into a portal, appearing behind the surprised Lumine and successfully slam the blunt side of her gunblade on her back.

"Agh!" Lumine yelled and fell to the ground. She swiftly turned to get up, only to be met with the sharp tip of Soleil's weapon.

"Don't ever compare me to that woman. Ever," Soleil said with a dangerously quiet voice.

Lumine's eyes narrowed when Abyssal magic began to condense around Soleil's weapon and threatened to attack her. A shadow fell over Soleil's cold face.

"That's the problem with you, Lumine. You think you're the only one with problems and the only one allowed to throw tantrums like a silly child," Soleil spoke, "Have you forgotten what happened that time?"