66: A Tale of Stars and Glaze Lilies

Xiao's words made Ganyu look to him in alert and panic, "You can't! We all agreed that–"

"Rex Lapis has given his permission to proceed. Whether we allowed it or not, she is bound to know of what happened at that time," Xiao cut Ganyu off again.

He glanced at Soleil, "It's in her inquisitive nature, after all. She won't stop until she knows what she wanted to know."

"While you got that right... What do you mean by 'that time'? Moreover, Morax–Rex Lapis or whatever name he goes by–he's still alive?" Soleil asked with eyes full of disbelief and surprise, "How?"

"That doesn't matter," Xiao said. Soleil would have spoken if Ganyu looked at her and shook her head.

It was silent until Xiao built his resolve to speak, though hesitation and doubt could be felt in his demeanor.

"You wish to know who the Stargazing Savant was, didn't you?" he asked. "So she finally knew..." Ganyu muttered.

"I do. Lately, that name has been coming up and wouldn't stop haunting me," Soleil frowned. Xiao nodded.

"The term 'Stargazing Savant' is more or less a title held by an adeptus called 'Star Prancer' who lived many centuries ago," Xiao explained and closed his eyes, "But to the people of Liyue, she was better known as Stella."

"Stella?" Soleil wondered. "Yes..." Ganyu had a nostalgic smile as she gazed out the window, "And she had the closest of ties to Rex Lapis. It all began when he once roamed on a sunny day."

She summoned a Glaze Lily between her hands and placed it in Soleil's own. The scholar looked at the glistening dew on the flower, entranced by its beauty. The only thing she could hear was Ganyu's soft voice telling of a story no one knew.

"Nobody knew who she was or where she came from. Nobody knew who her parents were or if she ever had one. All we knew was that she once appeared in a field full of Glaze Lilies and sang a song that led to a fateful encounter with the Lord of Geo. Perhaps he was impressed by the song, but he took it upon himself to watch over her since then."

No one really knew how Stella first appeared. Soleil would have taken Ganyu's word for it until the Glaze Lily in her hand shone a bright light, letting a stream of memories flood into her head.

"The Glaze Lilies like it when they hear a song."

"Is that so?"

"Yep! Look! They look much more fresh especially if I touch them and sing."

What is... Soleil's thoughts trailed off when she found herself standing in a field of white Glaze Lilies. The clouds were amber, filtered by the sun hiding behind.

The fragrance of the flowers was alluring, but what caught Soleil's attention was the little girl sitting in the middle of the flowers. She presented the flower in her hand to the crouching figure beside her.

"It's beautiful," the man said, gently tracing the flower with a finger.

"It's a shame there aren't many Glaze Lilies anymore. Aside from here, all the Glaze Lilies in the village and the city have withered away..."

Soleil could only frown. This man was smiling, but the rest of his face was a blur.

No doubt, this was the Lord of Geo. The little girl beside him... It must be Stella. Black hair and amber gold eyes, she was a cheery girl with the charisma and beauty of a cherubi told in stories to be angels of heaven.

And this child had the honor of meeting Rex Lapis in the flesh. Soleil made an amused snort and crossed her arms, letting their first meeting transpire.