38(Moonchase): How About We Explore the Area Ahead of Us Later?

Soleil let out a dramatic sigh as she ran a hand through her hair, "I swear, Ningguang would better give me a raise. Now I missed Xiangling's preliminaries!"

"I am sure Ningguang will compensate you for your efforts. You have done well this time in resolving the matter," Zhongli smiled reassuringly.

Soleil skipped the stairs down Feiyun Slope, admiring the lanterns decorating it. She looked up at Zhongli, who was calmly following after.

"So you were evaluating me. How was it? I did well, didn't I?" Soleil grinned proudly. "It was subtle. Although you resorted to blackmail instead of talking it over, your only aim was to solve the issue without attracting attention from the public," Zhongli replied.

"You know the Qixing is also informed about it, huh," Soleil mused. "Haha... They know anything and everything so long as it is within Liyue. This time is no different," Zhongli chuckled.

"That's true," Soleil walked ahead with a skip to her step, "The festival should proceed smoothly from now on. That's good."

Zhongli nodded. He watched Soleil as she crouched near a lantern on the ground and peered inside its contents curiously.

Soleil has placed great trust in Zhongli if she was comfortable in showing her how she gets things done behind the scenes. It wasn't that she was naive–she simply knows he understands what she has to do.

Soleil is aware that Zhongli, too, resorts to several methods time to time. His dignified and polite attitude is what make people forget sometimes that Zhongli can be a cunning man, too. But unlike Soleil, he only considers it as a last resort.

As for Soleil? She does it as long as it makes the job quicker or when the opportunity presents itself. She honors efficiency, not honor itself. To Zhongli, this was a double-edged blade that makes Soleil the formiddable girl she is today.

But it is also a gamble. How long will the odds be in her favor? Or rather, how long will she be able to set the chessboard to her liking?

Zhongli sighed. That isn't up to him. The only thing he can do is bid Soleil to be careful not to overdo it. Wise or not, she was still young. She has yet to recognize the flaws of her modus vivendi.

"By the way, Mr. Zhongli," Soleil spoke and glanced at the man beside her, "What was the deal with that girl back at the Yinyuan Hall? I would have told her off if Xinglan didn't do it first. How could she raise her voice on you like that?"

"Do not be irked with her, Soleil. She is simply riddled with confusion from what happened months ago," Zhongli said soothingly.

"Does it have something to do with the artefacts you have? From what I heard, they are a goddess' artefacts," Soleil said.

"Yes... As you know, Yinyuan Hall descends from the followers of the late God of Salt. Havria was her name. The ruler and chalice I have with me are imbued with her power to produce salt endlessly if they willed it. They have been lost to time until the Traveller and I went along with a few people to unearth it. I had thought Wanyan would trust her honor and not use the artefacts. But I cannot blame her. This was a time of need and she took the opportunity," Zhongli explained. Soleil pursed her lips.

"Technically speaking, that doesn't break the law to use a divine artefact. But if they begin to use it through deceptive means, that's a different story. It also makes things unfair for the other merchants," Soleil said, "I need to tell Ningguang to make ammendments."

"How do you plan to do that?" Zhongli asked. "By having the artefacts confiscated. They are historical pieces with great cultural value. It would be inappropriate to use it for profit as it would be better off in a museum, no?" Soleil's eyes glinted playfully.