9: Carried By Wind, Nurtured By Time

Soleil woke up to the warm sunlight filling her room. She sat up with a grunt, looking at the documents by the pillow. She yawned as she got up, proceeding with her morning routine.

A satisfied sigh escaped her lips when she stared down at the clothes she wore to Mond on the bed. She won't be needing them so she just tossed them back in her bag.

Instead, she focused on adjusting her current attire. It was not too fancy like some notable people she saw yesterday, but not too bland for her to be mistaken as a boring lab technician.

While most scholars wore uniforms like skirts, blouses, or trousers, what she wore was a golden yellow bodysuit that ended above her thighs but lower than her collarbone to make a heart-shape arch. Thigh-high white stockings made up to cover her exposed legs that fit well with her golden stilettos.

Of course, she wouldn't be seen as a scholar without the lab coat, though she fashioned it to accentuate her and make it more to her liking. With gold highlights and rims, the white lab coat had sleeves that reached the elbows and a hem split in two, each one for Soleil's side and reaching the calves.

To finish the look, she wore short, black gloves and had a gold-accented belt tight on the waist to hold her coat down. This is so she could prevent it from flying off uncomfortably as it could be a hindrance. The belt is where she latched her notebook to and a quill pen with stored ink: perfect for writing wherever she was.

There was a sealed pouch on her right thigh for the bomb pins and more space for other items. But a few could wonder why there was a holster on her left thigh. The answer wasn't going to be withheld when she turned to her duffel bag.

Soleil took the case that was stored inside her bag for long enough. She laid it down gently and latched it open, eyes reflecting the light the items inside caught after receiving the sunlight.

A glossy, steel item with rectangular dimensions was snuggled into the red cushions of the case with a handle with what looked like a trigger made it easy for Soleil to grab and pick up.

The complex design made it impossible for anyone to tell what it was. Only the creator and owner would know, that being Soleil herself. She latched it unto the holster on her left thigh and brushed her coat to conceal it afterward.

On the other half of the open case were a few vials with cylindrical shapes and made with metal and glass. This made the items transparent for Soleil to make out its components with varying colors. However, she only took the vials filled with purple matter and hid them away on the pouch with bomb pins on the right thigh.

She nodded, satisfied. She shut the case close and hid it away again in her bag lying on the bed neatly. She then headed downstairs, smiling at the innkeeper and opened the door, stepping back with a look of horror on her face.

"What the-!"

"Good morning, Miss Soleil," a knight greeted, placing his spear to the side for a small salute. The same was done by the other knights grouped together in a neat square by the streets.

That's right. There was a bunch of knights standing outside the inn. Soleil made a quick count and found them to be an exact dozen.

"H-Hello. Is there...any problem?" Soleil asked nervously. That blasted Kaeya. Did he send them here to arrest her for real?!

"Oh, not at all, ma'am. We are here under the orders of Sir Kaeya. My name is Ian, head of the platoon designated as your guards and escorts and strict orders state that we are to keep you safe in the captain's absence," the knight in front of her stated, making Soleil flinch in surprise.

"Kaeya...sent you?" Soleil had a bland smile, "I'm sorry, mister Ian, but I don't think any of this is necessary... Do you think it is necessary?"