65: A Tale The Stars Forgot

"So that's mission accomplished, then! Good, good~!" Hu Tao clapped happily when Chongyun told her about what transpired.

"She didn't even object. I guess she knows she was done for. Yanfei wasn't giving her room to breathe either," Chongyun said and chuckled lightly, "She amazes me."

"Speaking of Yanfei, where is she?" Hu Tao asked. "She is currently at Liyue prison to go over the formalities of Xinglan's arrest," Chongyun replied and sighed, "I can't believe we can't just send her straight to prison-That woman did so many horrible things not just to Soleil, but to the people of Liyue, too!"

Xinglan was taken by the Millelith and held in custody before a formal trial. Xinglan may or may not be proven guilty since there were not enough physical evidence.

They needed her to confess her crimes, or the selected jury-the Qixing and someone from the Communications Office-rules in their favor and declare Xinglan guilty.

"Someone was arrested?" Zhongli asked curiously as he emerged from the other room while stirring his cup.

"Ohoho~ Yes, there was. Come, come! Listen in while we spill the tea," Hu Tao patted the couch with a toothy grin.

"I would appreciate it if you kept the couches stainless of spilled tea," Zhongli spoke while Hu Tao mumbled about him not getting the joke.

"So, what is the situation?" Zhongli asked while placing his cup (of tea, after Hu Tao sniffed it and shuddered while crawling away) on the table.

"Oh, um..." Chongyun blinked awkwardly when he saw Zhongli staring at him, "Do you know the substitute leader of Yinyuan Hall?"

"Oh? I believe I do. It was Miss Xinglan, correct? I had the chance of meeting her weeks ago," Zhongli replied. Chongyun had a sour look.

"She was the one responsible for many crimes that took place in the recent months. She even ordered for someone to kill Soleil!" he said.

Zhongli had a surprised look. Then, he regained calm and spoke seriously, "If what you say is true, then she must pay for her misdeeds."

"They'll hold a trial but we don't know when it is yet. I'm sure Yanfei will tell us," Hu Tao said then tapped her lips thoughtfully, "This is quite the turn of events."

"It is. We should go and tell Soleil what happened," Chongyun said. Hu Tao waved a hand dismissively.

"Eh, knowing that girl, she probably knows already before it even happened," she said.

"Be that as it may, it is important we check upon her. If it is as you claim, Miss Xinglan attempted on her life. Let us see if she is well," Zhongli suggested.

"Yes. If it wasn't for her insight on the things we discovered, we would still be stuck on a dead end," Chongyun added. Hu Tao sighed.

"Fine, fine, let's go see her since the both of you are so eager," she said. They all prepared and left the funeral parlor to go to the hotel.

Zhongli followed calmly after Chongyun and Hu Tao. The mischievous director had been bugging Chongyun about his fiascoes and follies in demon hunting, wanting inspiration for a poem she wanted to write out.

"Oh, come on! Xingqiu once told me you had your own collection of demon drawings! You must let me see them," Hu Tao pouted, "I am most curious about that one demon Xingqiu brought up. What was it again? A half-fish, half-hilichurl hybrid?"

"H-Hu Tao!" Chongyun said, getting red from embarrassment, "Let's not talk about that book Xingqiu showed you, alright?"

"Why not? I actually find it pretty funny, hehe," Hu Tao smiled teasingly, "Where on Liyue have you ever come across a fish-hilichurl? Hahaha! Thinking of it as a mermaid or a Lochfolk makes it even funnier!"