54: Isn't This What You Wanted?

Maybe it was because of the tension, but the cold wind in Dragonspine has continued to drop lower until it was freezing.

The sheer cold was getting to Aether as he pressed through the subzero climate. The snowstorms in the white mountain made it difficult for him to see anything.

So he relied on his Elemental Vision to keep track of the Abyss Mages. He didn't know how long he has been walking, but he knew he was slowly giving in to the cold.

Aether struggled to keep his eyes open. All he saw was blurry white and he could only hear the taunting laughs in the midst of the howling wind. They were getting further away and he's falling behind.

He dropped to his knees, causing Paimon to gasp in surprise and pat him worryingly. Aether's teeth clattered and his body was shivering badly. He could no longer stand the cold.

"Ah! Traveller!" Paimon gasped when Aether dropped against the snow. She tried to shake him awake but it failed.

Aether could barely stay awake. He looked up weakly, seeing Paimon hovering over him with sad eyes.

"Get up! You can't stay here," she said desperately. Aether's breathing slowed, much to Paimon's horror.

He was ready to pass out when he spotted a blurry red light in the distance. His eyes widened in the slightest.

The red light approached closer until he could make out a lantern made from red glass. It had a strange core inside it. Paimon looked at it in surprise.

"What is this thing? It almost looks like a warming seelie, but it's a lantern," she said. She watched as the lantern hovered above the weak Traveller.

It began to emit waves of heat. Aether breathed out contentedly as he felt the rays of warmth coating his body. He began to feel energized.

He struggled to get up. Paimon did her best to assist him but there was not much she could do with her size.

"Look! The lantern is leaving," Paimon pointed in awe at the warm, red lantern.

Aether stared at the lantern as it twirled around floated into the distance. It was as if it was beckoning him to follow.

So he did. He began to run in the snow with Paimon floating after him. The warmth of the lantern has kept him from freezing and allowed him to chase after.

Aether scaled up the mountains and glided across the obstacles in his path. He didn't stop to know where he was. He just followed after the lantern.

"It sure acts like a warming seelie. Where do you think it's taking us?" Paimon wondered.

Time passed by indefinitely and Aether travelled across Dragonspine while following the lantern. He kept ascending the mountain until he reached the peak, where the Skyfrost Nail floated above.

Aether would know, for he put in quite the effort solving its mystery. He didn't know he would have to come back here again.

He gazed around at the ruins while the lantern floated above his head. Paimon poked at it, watching as the lantern bounce in its place and twirl around.

"So strange," Paimon commented and looked around. "What are we doing here?" she asked curiously.

"So you finally made it here."

Aether immediately summoned his sword when Abyss Mages appeared in front of him one by one.

His firm gaze faltered when he was suddenly surrounded by multiple Abyss Mages that commanded at least a dozen hilichurls.