25: The Unknown Variable

Keqing kept a straight, professional attitude as she scoured the areas in Lisha with a small team to investigate.

Indeed, her frosty demeanor never changed. That was until they went to Dunyu Ruins and located an old warehouse that seems to be untouched for decades.

Keqing's purple eyes narrowed and summoned her sword that flickered with strands of Electro. She isn't one to be fooled so easily.

She slashed the doors with one swipe of her sword, causing a burst of Electro to follow. The wooden, ragged warehouse opened, revealing golden light brought by the mountains of golden coins within.

"Tsk... It's just as intel says," Keqing frowned and turned to her subordinates, "Secure the area! We have to notify the Millelith that we recovered the missing mora."

"Yes, Lady Keqing!" the soldiers saluted before scattering about. Wind blew and Keqing's twin tails swayed to the breeze.

"Hmph," the Yuheng said and looked into the distance, where a white owl flew towards the direction of the Harbor.

She has to give it to Soleil. She knows when to step up her game.

But it's strange, Keqing held her chin. The warehouse was not even locked or guarded...

It was as if the perpetrator just left it here for anyone to find it. Ten million mora was a large amount. If just anyone got that...

"An economic revolution," Ningguang said in realization from inside the Jade Chamber, "It seems someone just wanted to cause a little commotion."

Soleil was sitting on Ningguang's desk with her feet swaying back and forth, "Yep. And that thing with the Fatui? Totally unrelated."

"...Elaborate," Ningguang squinted her eyes. "A small family of aristocrats called the Edelweiss clan made a deal with the Fatui in hopes of taking advantage of the crisis here to rule Mondstadt," Soleil began.

"Hmph, why am I not surprised?" Ningguang said amusingly. "Both sides made numerous deals and contracts–which are not necessary to our situation so I won't tell you–and ultimately, led to a debt amounting to twenty million mora," Soleil said.

"I see. The deposit of ten million into the bank was someone from the clan. They chose to remain anonymous because it was a shady deal," Ningguang nodded in realization, "It's a little aggravating that I didn't see this sooner."

"Yes. The remaining ten million concerning their transactions was converted into the form of assets and resources, which the Edelweiss hoped wouldn't be traced by the Fatui in hopes to back out of the deal after the members were arrested. It isn't a surprise you haven't heard of it," Soleil smirked, "But that isn't the real deal here."

Ningguang looked at her, prompting Soleil to continue. Soleil pointed at the board at the side of room.

"The fact that the transaction happens nearly the same time the Golden House was broken into and lost ten million mora meant that someone wanted to cause a ruckus," Soleil said, "It was a trick to make the Qixing suspect the Fatui, turning them into scapegoats, and cover the real problem."

"To implicate the Northland Bank and the Qixing, the two most important facilities concerning finance and business..." Ningguang said, "The possible collapse brought by it can create the ideal situation for an economic revolution to take place and overthrow the Qixing. Hmph. The audacity..."

"By now, Keqing's already located where the mora from the Golden House is," Soleil mused, "The fact that the adversary didn't take the mora for themselves supports our hypothesis."

"You don't seem very surprised," Ningguang commented with a smile, "Though that should be expected since we discussed the plan some time ago. It's a little disappointing that they only wanted to make trouble here in Liyue."