54: The Intellects of Mondstadt

Torn papers fed the flickering flames in the dark room. The codes written in ink and the developed photos were long burnt, but the contents are still fresh in her mind.

'The plan failed'

She bit her thumb as she paced around. She was sure it would work. She knew that girl's every weakness so why... Why didn't it work?

She paused when she saw the remaining photo atop the table near the fireplace through her veil. She snatched it up and glared at the person in the photo.

Light blue hair and eyes, light clothing, and a light personality... The Cryo Vision in his belt was a testament to his desires to continue the path of thaumaturgy and exorcism.

Exorcist Chongyun was Liyue's best when it came to purging the 'unwanted guests' in their world. A spiritual boy like him had no business with a scholar known for ruthless truth-seeking. Yet there they were, hanging out together.

Her eyes narrowed as she stared at Chongyun in the photo.

"This exorcist is getting in my way," she muttered. She then let go of the photo, watching it drift like a feather towards the fire.

The fire was rekindled, embracing the photo in its fiery grasp. She placed a hand on her hip.

If left alone, that exorcist will become a thorn on her side. And she knew to never leave a wound untreated. The same applies now. She can't be lenient.

She walked to the drawers and retrieved a sheath. She drew the sword, the fire reflecting in the blade along with the determination in her eyes.

There's no more time. She must be rid of the boy.

Everything is set but the exorcist is making things come out differently. She can't have him interfering any longer.

Donning a cloak and discarding her veil, she then proceeded to the outskirts of Liyue, where a purple flash of explosive Electro lit up the night sky.

***

"Why didn't you take them already? You had the chance."

"I couldn't. She was in danger so I had to help her."

"Why would you help someone who tried to ruin you?"

"Yeah... I keep wondering that to myself for the past thirteen years."

Luna sighed heavily through her lower mask, "Your kindness always kicks in at the wrong time. Look where it got you–In a potential lawsuit."

"You don't have to remind me," Soleil said irritatingly as the brisk-walked along the side of the streets with Luna.

Their feet were in sync, sharing the same urgency and discretion in their steps as they walked underneath the shades of the the buildings adjoined by bridges above them.

"In a potential lawsuit, in a potential lawsuit," Luna spoke again. "Luna," Soleil groaned, making the agent humph.

"So, what do we do now you're back in the mood for business?" Luna asked, "Your cursed diary has information I nearly got myself killed protecting from the Hexenzirkel. I certainly don't want my efforts to go down the drain."

"I know. I have to get those diaries back from Yanfei. The question is, how?" Soleil muttered seriously, "One wrong move and it will backfire. We'll lose all our progress."

"You'd better not make us go back to square one," Luna grumbled. "I know, lazy bum. That's why we need to be careful," Soleil huffed.

"Well... She stole it. Why not steal it back?" Luna asked. "Yanfei's already made a call to her friends in the Eight Trades. They're keeping an eye on us as we speak," Soleil whispered, "She'll know if we're unto her."