18: I Finally Found You

Soleil clearly remembered that laxatives and sleeping medicine were meant to put the patient at ease.

Yet when she regained consciousness, her head pounded like a blacksmith's hammer on the forge. She struggled to hold in a pained groan as she shuffled.

But she soon discovered it was hard to move. Her hands were bound behind her and a blindfold was secured around her eyes.

Soleil pursed her lips. She was kidnapped, alright. It was time she made her next move.

Judging from the rough sacks she felt with her hands and the smell of wood, she was inside a moving cart. She could hear the clips of horse shoes and the constant rumbling of the wheels that made the cart vibrate while crossing the uneven ground.

That meant someone was driving on the front. Soleil made a mental picture in her mind.

The cart was attached to a carriage pulled by the horses. Different murmurs and voices sounded, which meant it was a company of kidnappers sent to get her.

She listened closely. She could also smell the distinct night air, which had quite the unique smell especially when traversing the woods.

The voices of her kidnappers seem to thin out and fade into the distance. There were slight echoes. They were in an open field, so it would seem.

Soleil held in a grunt when the cart jumped, apparently from hitting a stone or a bump in the road. She hit her head on a nearby sack, causing her head to sting a bit.

"Hey, watch it! If you can't drive the carriage, pass the reins to someone else!" someone yapped.

"Oi, it ain't my fault there are rocks everywhere! Stop whining like a little baby," another one retorted.

"Whatever. Just hurry it up. We can't keep staying out here like this! Who knows how many bodyguards this girl has," another person grimaced.

"Tch. What a privileged brat."

Soleil silently shuffled to draw closer to the linings of the cart. She leaned closer to hear the chatter of her kidnappers.

"Still, things are turning out in our favor. This is becoming too easy!" a person said excitedly, "Now we have the girl, we're going to be rich! Hahaha!"

"Don't get too excited. We're still not done with the job yet. Celebrate once we have the mora in our hands," someone replied, "We can get killed if we lower our guards. This girl isn't ordinary."

"Aww, man! Don't be such a bummer."

Soleil listened closely. Someone hired them. But when she heard about the job not being done 'yet', she felt wary.

"But now that you mention it, I kinda feel bad. I mean, just look at her."

Soleil immediately pretended to be asleep when she felt a hand remove her blindfold. The strands of her hair fell and framed her face. She looked tender and gentle under the moonlight.

She heard a low whistle as she felt some presence loom over her head from the carriage.

"She's a real looker alright. I can see why they're so eager to be her puppets. Heh."

"Right? I can't believe she's the one who's getting us into so much trouble! Sigh... Life is unfair."

"She would be prettier than Yunjin if she tried."

"Shut up! Nobody can compare to Yunjin! Don't put my queen on the same level as this demon who had our lives ruined!"

"I wouldn't have believed it if the boss didn't testify."