49: If You Can't Clean A Mountain, Then Just Seal It Off

Soleil ripped another page from her leather notebook and crumpled it up in annoyance. She huffed and began to scribble on a new, blank page with a focused glare.

The thing with ink is that if you make a mistake when writing or drawing, you cannot erase it or change it. Even the slightest error will have to force you to start all over again.

But it was this inconvenience that taught Soleil how to be careful and precise with her work. Still, she was bound to make errors when distracted. She was human, after all.

Soleil paused to look at her work before sighing. She wasn't in the mood. Instead of forcing herself any longer, she closed the notebook and leaned against Regulus.

The horse was resting on the ground while chomping down on a few apples. Soleil closed her eyes and looked up at the clear skies, lost in her own thoughts again.

Regulus was biting down on an apple when his small, equine eyes landed on a cloaked figure that ascended on the path towards Soleil's workshop.

Regulus whinnied and nudged Soleil with his face. Soleil blinked and turned to him, stroking his head. "What is it?" she asked.

Regulus looked at the approaching figure, causing Soleil to follow his actions. She spotted the mysterious figure and squinted her eyes to make out any details.

But she no longer had to. The person speedily approached them, panting slightly. The white hair and enigmatic red eyes were enough to give Soleil the answer she needed.

She sat up and looked at the person with a cat smile. "You look like you ran a dozen miles. Or did you?" she asked teasingly.

Cyno was panting slightly but it was almost obvious he was trying to conceal it. "I received your letter," he said.

"I could guess that. But you didn't rush over, did you?" Soleil asked.

"The letter contained important discussions. You have a habit of overdoing many things and this time couldn't be any different," Cyno replied.

"I'll take that as a compliment. But anyway, thanks for coming over," Soleil grinned.

Cyno said nothing and looked at the workshop behind them. He had a disinterested look.

"... It's not that grand compared to the one you have in Sumeru," he bluntly said.

Soleil glared, "I'm not sure if you meant that nicely. But considering your attitude, I'll take it that it's not."

"Speaking of, have you been taking care of my place while I'm away?" Soleil asked as she got up and dusted herself. Cyno quietly placed a hand on Regulus' muzzle.

"It was an obligation so I had to," he said. "'Obligation'. Yeah, right," Soleil rolled her eyes.

"I didn't come here just to have an idle conversation. The matters in your letter should be addressed immediately," Cyno said sternly.

"Yes, yes. Come with me," Soleil waved a hand dismissively and led the way into the workshop, "Hang your cloak on the rack, if you would please."

Cyno patted Regulus one last time before entering and removing his cloak. He hung it up and looked around quietly.

He spotted Soleil tying up her hair and washing her hands in a basin of water. The flushing sound of running water filled the quiet room.

Cyno followed after Soleil quietly. When he observed her up close, his eyebrows rose. "Your hair got longer," he said.

"I know, right? Even I got surprised the time I subconsciously tied my hair," Soleil laughed lightly.

"Does it look strange?" she asked. "No," Cyno shook his head and mumbled, "It looks fine on you."